Golf Guy Commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Golf Guy Commission

you're a really good sculpter. Thanks for sharing your progress with us.
    My ETSY shop:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

My oh My.... since I am privileged to see the progress on this work each week, I'm ahead of those who can only see the pictures. This work may not be as big or showy as your Sunflower but it is indeed one fine piece of work. You my friend are a very talented artist.

Comment

Bob, I like the model very much. I am curious why you don't use proportional calipers on your model to transfer the dimensions?

Kelley

Comment

Mark:
          Great clay work, and the head is every bit as good, keep up the great job, can't wait to see it done.
          Mark N. Akers
          My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Good Lord I'm gettin a big head! Thanks. I can't come up with answer to why don't I use proportional calipers. Of course with caricatures proportions are out of kilter.

Comment

I’ve been defining more and more of the body bringing out the arm and details. I’m leaving the hands combined together both for strength while I carve and to further develop the body so my proportions of hand location to body are coordinated. Also I need to consider their development as it will relate the golf club head. Note the shirt sleeve thicknesses in order to allow wood removal at the detail stage. I like to create shadows and the natural hang of the shirt sleeve will allow this. Also wood has been removed to define the pant leg length(which will change several more times). I’ve left plenty of wood in the leg area to provide good strength while I remove wood from the upper torso. I must be careful to not hit the concealed studs holding the wood to the stand. How irritating that would be. I had planned on doing his right leg separate but I’m not going to carve this area yet hoping I won’t have to do that. We’ll see what it looks like after much more wood removal. You see I’ve added a few wrinkles here and there. It’s really to early to do be doing this but it helps me get a feel for how much more wood I need to remove. He is still too hefty a guy at this stage.

Comment

Another set of update pictures and info. As I said earlier I thought I would have to carve the right leg separate from the body but I wasn‘t sure. I decided it would only take an additional 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch added to the end of his right foot . I added a little block and the joint looks good so I’m going to try carving the leg joined to the body. After the glue dried over night I started defining the body more and more. The body is still too chunky. I added detail to the legs by seperating them keeping in mind the studs holding the carving to the vise head. When I laid out the holes for the studs in the base of the carving I located them considering if I would be able to carve the leg as part of the body there wouldn‘t be a stud in the middle of it. Looks like the added wood is going to work and I’m glad I looked ahead. You will see the stud locations marked on the wood so I won’t damage my tools. Need to remove more wood as I go from the complete body. Fat, Fat, Fat. I don’t want to remove too much though so I work the complete carving all over to help me with proportions. Slow but safe.

Comment

Wow, that is quite a project and what an Awesome job Bob. Your really cracking on it.

Corey

Comment

Hi Corey, I might remind that the pictures are lagging behind the actual carving. This gives me time to edit and fix pictures. It's a time consuming job for the presentation and I want to do right.....I hope.

Comment

After adding wood to the foot I can now start detailing the lower legs and feet. I want to keep the feet joined so I may still have leg strength when I remove from the vise and work in my lap/hands. Need to be careful working the body with the leg area wood removed. Sure don’t want to break it at this point. This area will be last area worked before fine detailing. I have already added the hole in the body to accept the head with my, little used but handy, Foredom. Time to carve the hands. One has a glove on it. The a ring on a finger. Care needs to be taken keeping in mind the lay of the golf club shaft and handle all the way down the to.....eer…….club contact area. This is so much fun!

Comment

Making a lot of head way with the pictures today. A little off of one hand to the other but will make it work.

Comment

I removed the vise studs and working at removing the wood the will seperate the feet and get me on to the final stages of detail work. I will detail the complete piece all over at this stage. I've temporarily set the head in place to see what the heck I've got now and compare the almost finished carving stage to the model in the back ground. Now I need to add shoes cleats, a few final cuts here and there and then move on to figuring out the golf club. I'll add continuing pics next post.

Comment

More follow up pictures

Comment

More follow up pictures. The last picture shows the last thing I did last night. At the suggestion of a fellow carving friend I borrowed a Willow Branch(My Dad called them switchs, and they hurt) from my nieghbor and added it in the appropiate drilled holes. Added the necessary props to hold it in place. I've had a fan blowing on it all night and although I haven't been to the shop yet I assume all will be well. Next thing to do is figure out the base now. See ya later. I haven't got that figured out yet.

Comment

That is just awesome Bob, wonderful work!

Corey

Comment

Working...
                                X