X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Redwine
    replied
    Re: Golf Guy Commission

What a great finish!... Again it 's neat to see the whole work unfold before my eyes. You client will be impressed (and he got a bargain at that). You could call him
    "Billy Duffer".

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

More Pics to view

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

Pictures of the finished product. Hope you enjoyed the process of development and would encourage your suggestions of future presentations.

I applied Watco Natural all over. Then started within the hour by adding Oil paints (shirt and pants). I decided for detail painting this was not the thing to do for me(Oil Paint). For instance much to long to dry in order to handle and not smear the colors. The edges of colors although went on sharp edged would be fuzzy within time. I wound up finishing the rest of the colors with acrylics with a light coat of Watco mixed with Burnt Umber(Oil Paint).

I haven't come with an appropiate name for the piece yet, at least a name that would be presentable for all. Got any ideas?

Note: for some reason the pictures are showing his body shortened more than it actually is. I guess I would blame it on me taking the picture too close to the subject and causing distortion from a camera view slightly above center.

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

Thank you Claude. It seems to have dried just as I wanted it. Detailing handle now.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied

Bob:
    If the switch doesn't set correctly after you remove it from the jig, put on the teakettle, and then hold the switch in the live steam for about 5 minutes. The section that has been steamed can usually be easily bent while hot, put into the jig to cool, and then will retain the bend once it's cool.

Claude

Leave a comment:

• bghebert
    replied

incredible, Bob

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

More follow up pictures of work done today. The first Willow branch Golf club didn't turn out like I wanted so I've cut another and set it up in jig to dry overnite. I hope to get it finished tomorrow. Spent the rest of the day figuring out the base and setup display. I'll want to add another larger base under the one in the picture then get started painting the piece.

Leave a comment:

• carver33
    replied

Bob,

He's looking fantastic. I can't wait to see the finished work.

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

Thank you Corey, the process of getting it on the forum is almost as much effort as the carving project.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa Carver
    replied

That is just awesome Bob, wonderful work!

Corey

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

More follow up pictures. The last picture shows the last thing I did last night. At the suggestion of a fellow carving friend I borrowed a Willow Branch(My Dad called them switchs, and they hurt) from my nieghbor and added it in the appropiate drilled holes. Added the necessary props to hold it in place. I've had a fan blowing on it all night and although I haven't been to the shop yet I assume all will be well. Next thing to do is figure out the base now. See ya later. I haven't got that figured out yet.

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

More follow up pictures

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

I removed the vise studs and working at removing the wood the will seperate the feet and get me on to the final stages of detail work. I will detail the complete piece all over at this stage. I've temporarily set the head in place to see what the heck I've got now and compare the almost finished carving stage to the model in the back ground. Now I need to add shoes cleats, a few final cuts here and there and then move on to figuring out the golf club. I'll add continuing pics next post.

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

Making a lot of head way with the pictures today. A little off of one hand to the other but will make it work.

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

After adding wood to the foot I can now start detailing the lower legs and feet. I want to keep the feet joined so I may still have leg strength when I remove from the vise and work in my lap/hands. Need to be careful working the body with the leg area wood removed. Sure don’t want to break it at this point. This area will be last area worked before fine detailing. I have already added the hole in the body to accept the head with my, little used but handy, Foredom. Time to carve the hands. One has a glove on it. The a ring on a finger. Care needs to be taken keeping in mind the lay of the golf club shaft and handle all the way down the to.....eer…….club contact area. This is so much fun!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X