X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xsailer
    replied
    Re: Golf Guy Commission

Hi Corey, I might remind that the pictures are lagging behind the actual carving. This gives me time to edit and fix pictures. It's a time consuming job for the presentation and I want to do right.....I hope.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa Carver
    replied

Wow, that is quite a project and what an Awesome job Bob. Your really cracking on it.

Corey

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

Another set of update pictures and info. As I said earlier I thought I would have to carve the right leg separate from the body but I wasn‘t sure. I decided it would only take an additional 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch added to the end of his right foot . I added a little block and the joint looks good so I’m going to try carving the leg joined to the body. After the glue dried over night I started defining the body more and more. The body is still too chunky. I added detail to the legs by seperating them keeping in mind the studs holding the carving to the vise head. When I laid out the holes for the studs in the base of the carving I located them considering if I would be able to carve the leg as part of the body there wouldn‘t be a stud in the middle of it. Looks like the added wood is going to work and I’m glad I looked ahead. You will see the stud locations marked on the wood so I won’t damage my tools. Need to remove more wood as I go from the complete body. Fat, Fat, Fat. I don’t want to remove too much though so I work the complete carving all over to help me with proportions. Slow but safe.

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

I’ve been defining more and more of the body bringing out the arm and details. I’m leaving the hands combined together both for strength while I carve and to further develop the body so my proportions of hand location to body are coordinated. Also I need to consider their development as it will relate the golf club head. Note the shirt sleeve thicknesses in order to allow wood removal at the detail stage. I like to create shadows and the natural hang of the shirt sleeve will allow this. Also wood has been removed to define the pant leg length(which will change several more times). I’ve left plenty of wood in the leg area to provide good strength while I remove wood from the upper torso. I must be careful to not hit the concealed studs holding the wood to the stand. How irritating that would be. I had planned on doing his right leg separate but I’m not going to carve this area yet hoping I won’t have to do that. We’ll see what it looks like after much more wood removal. You see I’ve added a few wrinkles here and there. It’s really to early to do be doing this but it helps me get a feel for how much more wood I need to remove. He is still too hefty a guy at this stage.

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

Good Lord I'm gettin a big head! Thanks. I can't come up with answer to why don't I use proportional calipers. Of course with caricatures proportions are out of kilter.

Leave a comment:

• Mark N. Akers
    replied

Mark:
    Great clay work, and the head is every bit as good, keep up the great job, can't wait to see it done.

Leave a comment:

• Kelley
    replied

Bob, I like the model very much. I am curious why you don't use proportional calipers on your model to transfer the dimensions?

Kelley

Leave a comment:

• Ed Redwine
    replied

My oh My.... since I am privileged to see the progress on this work each week, I'm ahead of those who can only see the pictures. This work may not be as big or showy as your Sunflower but it is indeed one fine piece of work. You my friend are a very talented artist.

Leave a comment:

• Sharon of the Dell
    replied

you're a really good sculpter. Thanks for sharing your progress with us.

Leave a comment:

• bghebert
    replied

Great work, I can picture the golfer for real.

thanks so much for sharing

Leave a comment:

• Simplyme
    replied

Originally posted by xsailer View Post
    Simplyme,
    I know how you feel about not be talented. I would give almost anything to be able to play a musical instrument. Can't. I listen to a heck of a lot of music to make up the difference though.
    Don't sell yourself short, the way you use your tools and hands to make great carvings and sculptures. Your finish projects practically sing to me. So in a way you are making music. LOL

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

As I said. I started the head first to make sure I would be happy with the likeness of the person. I found it difficult to do as working in clay if something isn't right you simply add more clay to the nose for instance. If the wood was accidentally removed you"d be up the creek without the paddle, no nose. For me, getting the details established in clay is an immense benefit when it comes to cutting it in wood.

The finished head pictures are the second one I carved. I threw the first one away. It just wasn't working for me. I got so enthused, frustrated, carving the head I didn't get progressive pictures and in fact I didn't know I was going "forum" until a fellow carver suggested it.

I know one thing for sure - I now know my golfers face, I would bet better than he does. Every little crook and wrinkle and blemish. While looking for something to emphasize, to make him a caricature, the search is a real learning experience. Fun and challenging for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Dellinger
    replied

Bob,
    If the carving turns out as nice as the clay it will be just terrific. It has been really neat seeing the progression of this piece. Can't wait to see more.

Safe Carving and God Bless,

Mark

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

Simplyme,
    I know how you feel about not be talented. I would give almost anything to be able to play a musical instrument. Can't. I listen to a heck of a lot of music to make up the difference though.

Leave a comment:

• xsailer
    replied

FYI the presentation I'm doing is behind where I'm really at on the carving. The lag time is getting pictures ready to show. So if it looks like I'm really moving fast....I'm not. As you can see I've started rounding the body. You will notice I took pictures of the clay model and printed them out to a larger scale than the model. Using the pictures I can use my deviders to get approx. sizes and/or proportions. Must keep in mind even though I have pictures they aren't proportionally correct really(it's close) to use direct to the wood carving. It does help me though get a sense of visible proportions. It really helps setting the model and pictures up immediately behind my carving in work. I don't have to turn my head one way to look at the pictures and then back to the carving. Just move the eyes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X