Golf Guy Commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf Guy Commission

I've started a character commission I thought I'd share with interested carvers. This is my second "look-a-like wood carving" that hopefully turns out like I want it. I've done other mediums but not wood. I started by making a clay model. The carving is a man that is very proud (as he should be) of his golfing abilities so he chose as a carving topic, golfing. He has bought several other art productions of mine and I'm wanting to do him up real good. The following pics are of the clay model. Here we go. I'll keep you updated as to the progress. Hope you enjoy it.

Re: Golf Guy Commission

Terrible stance - I think his left foot is turned in a little too far. LOL.

He looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the carving.

Comment

Hey, Bob, that's a neat looking project. I'm looking forward to seeing it take shape in wood.

Ed

Comment

Looks good to me, Bob what do you do with the clay model when you've finished the carving, just courious

Comment

Yes it is a terrible stance....on purpose Bill. There are several parts of the model I've over emphasized. Having said that you would be surprised how close it is to the picture.

The clay is oil based and will be added to my pile to re-use on another project. It never hardens.

Comment

I've transferred the outline of the clay to a paper pattern (front and side views) as best I could. Transferred the resulting pattern to wood and band sawed the image. I decided, for ease of carving, to do the head and his right raised leg separate. I thought I would start on the head first to make sure I got a likness before wasting time with the body if I couldn't get there with a fair likness.

Comment

I kinda figure that you would say that you destroy the clay model after your done. It makes me want to cry......I think it is a piece of art in itself. If I could do something like that in clay, I would be a recluse, I would never leave my house, between carving and sculpting.........I envy you guys who really have, "THE GIFT".
              Spoken by someone born with two left feet and two right hands..........LOL

Comment

This is really a cool project Bob and looking forward to watching along. The clay model was fantastic!

Corey

Comment

Hi Bob, Great start looking forward in seeing it finished. Merle

Comment

FYI the presentation I'm doing is behind where I'm really at on the carving. The lag time is getting pictures ready to show. So if it looks like I'm really moving fast....I'm not. As you can see I've started rounding the body. You will notice I took pictures of the clay model and printed them out to a larger scale than the model. Using the pictures I can use my deviders to get approx. sizes and/or proportions. Must keep in mind even though I have pictures they aren't proportionally correct really(it's close) to use direct to the wood carving. It does help me though get a sense of visible proportions. It really helps setting the model and pictures up immediately behind my carving in work. I don't have to turn my head one way to look at the pictures and then back to the carving. Just move the eyes.

Comment

Simplyme,
                      I know how you feel about not be talented. I would give almost anything to be able to play a musical instrument. Can't. I listen to a heck of a lot of music to make up the difference though.

Comment

Bob,
                        If the carving turns out as nice as the clay it will be just terrific. It has been really neat seeing the progression of this piece. Can't wait to see more.

Safe Carving and God Bless,

Mark

Comment

As I said. I started the head first to make sure I would be happy with the likeness of the person. I found it difficult to do as working in clay if something isn't right you simply add more clay to the nose for instance. If the wood was accidentally removed you"d be up the creek without the paddle, no nose. For me, getting the details established in clay is an immense benefit when it comes to cutting it in wood.

The finished head pictures are the second one I carved. I threw the first one away. It just wasn't working for me. I got so enthused, frustrated, carving the head I didn't get progressive pictures and in fact I didn't know I was going "forum" until a fellow carver suggested it.

I know one thing for sure - I now know my golfers face, I would bet better than he does. Every little crook and wrinkle and blemish. While looking for something to emphasize, to make him a caricature, the search is a real learning experience. Fun and challenging for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by xsailer View Post
                            Simplyme,
                            I know how you feel about not be talented. I would give almost anything to be able to play a musical instrument. Can't. I listen to a heck of a lot of music to make up the difference though.
                            Don't sell yourself short, the way you use your tools and hands to make great carvings and sculptures. Your finish projects practically sing to me. So in a way you are making music. LOL

Comment

Great work, I can picture the golfer for real.

thanks so much for sharing

Comment

Working...
                              X