greenman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: greenman

we will see,,,if they like each other,,,so far she is silently looking how he becomes... lol

Comment

Doris, Very well done. Howard, I like your idea too. I look forward to finish pieces from both of you. I can almost visualize the "sprouts" or perhaps leaflets!

LOL Wanda

Comment

Doris,

He looks great! Thanks for the updates! Can't wait to see him finished.

I must admit that your avatar enthralled me. That is one fantastic piece of work as well!

Comment

hehe wanda, yes howards idea is indeed very fun... hi bob, oh as usual, my project takes much longer than intended...i am too much perfectionist...lol

so here he is now,,, he got a severe surgery, if you are interested, you can go to the blog and look page 7 and try guessing what was wrong and how i made it correct :-) (the answer is on page 8, so donĀ“t look there if you want try yourself if you can find the mistake...)

Comment

He's looking real nice, Doris. Thanks for keeping us updated. I can tell that is going to be beautiful when finished.

Comment

thank you ed ! yes i really hope so, since i am getting excited to see him, lol... i love that feeling when it occurs in the process of carving... :-) ...only difficulty is then to not rush it, but take the time and do still as good as one can...

Comment

the greenman is finished :-) i decided put a very subtle coloring. i made the leaves darker with an oak stain, and kept the actual head non-stained, that is, since the face on his rightside is of much lighter woodcolor i did put a very light stain there too to make the face a more even color. it just looked odd after only the leaves were stained and around his right eye was very light color.... do you like that subtle coloring ?

Comment

It looks very good, Doris. The leaves are great. I like to see you experimenting with different woods. He needs to be hanging on the wall looking over your shoulder while you carve.

Comment

The expression on the face makes me think I'm about to hear an "Oh no".

Comment

yes, treewizard,,,that is what he is thinking,,,greenmen often reflect a deep belief,,, my greenman is about nature...and how people deal with it...
                      hi matthew, yes it is fun to explore new woods :-) and, actually, despite the hardness, i like oak almost more than linden already...and it finishes so beautiful too :-)

Comment

Very beautifully done. Yes, I really like the subtle color difference. It really separates the leaves without overwhelming the carving.

Comment

of course he is very good Doris, as is everything you carve now i wnat to make a stab (pun ?) at a greenman --
                          after Christmas perhaps
                          Herb

Comment

Originally posted by doris View Post
                            the greenman is finished :-) i decided put a very subtle coloring. i made the leaves darker with an oak stain, and kept the actual head non-stained, that is, since the face on his rightside is of much lighter woodcolor i did put a very light stain there too to make the face a more even color. it just looked odd after only the leaves were stained and around his right eye was very light color.... do you like that subtle coloring ?
                            Doris Your green man is wonderful. I think the staining works. It gives the green man way more depth and impact. The contrast between the tones compliment each other and the subject of a green man is perfect for this aplication as he morfes from human to leaves both are amplified yet complimentry in the subtle transformation areas. It sets the tone of his expresion that brings the subject to life. This is a beautiful piece, Doris, very well done my friend. ,,,,H

Comment

hi herb, yes do try !!! i would be very happy if i inspired you to try...you will see it is big fun :-)

thank you bill,and howard, for letting me know you think my coloring works... i am very insure with that, since my love is carvings plain, just completely stained or natural wood color. i know there are so many beautiful, colored examples, wonderfully painted, but when i create, it always pulls me back to monochrome even when i am playing with the idea of coloring it...so, this greenman is, in a sense, the farthest i "could do" wrt coloring... at, least i mean, as long as i carve the pieces without commision... yes, howard, the morphs of color, that was fun to create with the stain, building it up carefuly. i like how that turned out, since i did not know if it is possible at all :-)

thank you all for your nice comments :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X