Patchwork Santa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Patchwork Santa

I like how you draw it on and carve it out. You have vision Wanda and your getting better and better!

Corey

Comment

Very nice little guy from the North Pole,Wanda...I like it...Bill#1

Comment

Wanda
        What a santa, good job.

LeeRoy

Comment

I haven't checked back on this post in a while and was blown away with all the comments on this little guy.

He presented a lot of problems for me. The face area seemed to be very stringy wood. I knocked his nose off three different times. So I had to carve the front a little deeper.

After posting the pictures, I was sent a PM about the fuzzies. I went back to the pictures and sure enough, it looked really fuzzy in the face area especially.

Yesterday I went back to the shop and worked him over a bit. I think you will see his fuzzies are much better and his facial area is much improved.

Someone asked about my painting skills. I am self taught. I always loved drawing comics. Painting always seemed to spoil my drawings. We had art class in grade school once a week. I volunteered to help the teacher. I sure hope she isn't around to read this. Anyway, I got to clean up after the art class and wash the paint trays for the next group. I was washing the trays and putting them into the cabinet above the sink when several bottles of powdered tempera paint fell into the sink. The lids were loose so powdered paint splattered everywhere in the wet sink. As I began rinsing the tempera paint, I noticed how the blue and red began to mix and make purple. I took some yellow out of the cabinet and added it to the blue and got green. I could make a different color by adding more yellow to the mix. I don't remember how many color combinations I made that day or how much paint went down the drain. I guess it was my AHA moment. Until that time, I had no idea about mixing colors, you just used what colors you had. Being the kid that always asked WHY, I asked the art teacher about it the next class. She gave me a color chart to take home and play with. I was so fasinated with my new tool.

I got some painting tips from Mark Akers and tried to apply them to this guy. I finally got the paint thin enough on the coat to be a wash. Thanks Mark for your painting tips.

Wanda

Comment

Excellent carving and paint job Wanda !

Dave

Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment too. I appreciate everyone of you that take the time to comment and those that have helped me improve.
              Wanda

Comment

yeah mama! this is great! Good Idea!!!

Comment

I love your little Santa Wanda! All the neat things painted on him make him very special... The paint in the sink story was cute too. He looks like he is snuggled in with much satisfaction! Good job.. Charlotte

Comment

Hey Keoma! Whare have ya been hidin girl? Glad you liked him.
                    Wanda

Comment

Charlotte, I really appreciate your comments. It means a lot coming from a Santa artist like you. The paint in the sink story is how I really learned about color mixing, and patient teachers!
                      Wanda

Comment

Hi Wanda, love your patchwork santa he is just precious.
                        Kathy

Comment

Working...
                        X