flowers and leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: flowers and leaves

If you do what you always do,,don't expect different results.

This work requires different thought patterns than day to day living and problem solving. So that's where I like to go. That's where my answers are. That's where carving comes from.
    Thanks guys. I'd write more,but have to run. I'll be back, some place or another.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeWizard View Post
      I can't wait to see the finished product, as you might guess I love Wisteria.
      TreeWiz
      I love Wisteria too. That is a great Wisteria tree.

Comment

I think these things are multiplying by themselves! Hope I don't scare the "apprentice" too badly with the work I lined up for him. He'll see statues in his sleep. And there's one missing yet. And who was it that said I'm surrounded by religious stuff?
        Not sure where ,,let alone how,, I'll deal with the wood for the new knee brackets I'll be starting.

And I included a neat mantle from my trip to New York city. It's cast not carved but full of good ideas I could use. This is part of the renovations in the home I'll be working on there. Cool ,,,huh? Lots of fun stuff.

Comment

Hey Mark
          When your apprentice finds himself up to his ankles in wood chips ,,, remind him he went in head first,,, LOL. This is a great adventure you both will benefit from. What an wonderful opportunity to grow, shared passion is a very powerful creative entity. Restoration work stacked up like cord wood, GOD stuff is very cool it has inspired artists and given them the opportunity to develop like few other subjects.
          That mantle is very interesting, The pierced work is wonderful. Hope that you will share pic's of this project as it develops, Enjoy your sharing this life my friend.

Comment

Thanks Howard,
            Today he found himself ankle deep in paint chips!
            Yes, I think this can benefit the both of us. I really enjoyed having him in the shop, he's receptive and willing to learn , and I had a BALL showing him how. It's amazing how many things we take for granted, but I am aware of this and probably over-showed him. Paint removal, epoxies, fillers, spraying primers and techniques for each step. It was fun thinking it through and telling him what I'm aware of at each step and am looking for.
            Occasionally I drink a cup of tea,,and on the tea bag tab for this brand there is a quote,,like a fortune cookie. Todays quote was
            "Remember , the other person is you."

Made me smile and consider how true it is. Wasn't it me not that long ago?.

Comment

Originally posted by mark yundt View Post
              If you do what you always do,,don't expect different results.
              I think that this is the definition of insanity: to continue to do the same thing expecting different results.

Comment

Your welcome Mark!

Comment

Hey Mark,
                  ... but seriously... who vacuums your shop and how often?? LOL .. just kidding. Your work on this desk is superb as is all your projects. I have to say though that is going to be one outlandish desk!

Carve on...

Comment

I have to admit I'm a bit of a slob. I am in no way a neat worker. I'll clean up the chips when my head starts hitting the ceiling. Tools everywhere, extensions snaking all over.
                    I'll have to work on that having someone else in the shop now.
                    The desk ( carving) is getting assembled as we speak. Sanding,gluing etc. should be ready to go very soon.
                    Thanks for the cheers.

Comment

hehe, is it not the task of apprentice to swing the broom and wipe away the chips ??? just kidding, mark... but i truely hope you get opportunity to take fotos of the desk, i so much longing to see it ! :-)

Comment

Hey Doris,
                        As long as the mess gets cleaned up, I don't really care who does it. I'm more concerned with the work. The shop can be a mess as long as the work is neat and clean. In the heat of the battle I'm not worried if my uniform is clean and pressed.
                        I'm anxious as well to see this all together. Tonight I got the bulk of it biscut jointed and glued together,,just the end blocks now. Easier to sand all the nooks and crannies while apart. It's the final countdown.
                        Tomorrow I pick up all the wood for the new knee brackets and get the next job started as this wraps up. Got resolutions on the mistakes I found on the specs from the Architects,,, (are they architects or cartoonists? they threw some Eschers' at me) Statues are underway,,Ahhhh .. life is good!

Comment

No , it doesn't look much different than the other photos' but now I can say it's all one piece. No more parts and pieces.Glued it all up today. All the carving is done as well as the corner sections where they needed to wrap over the desk itself. Worked out just perfectly as I had a half inch on each side to add a bit of wood and have a leaf extend over the side of the desk.

It came out looking leafy/viney/flowery enough. Should look neat.Depends too how they finish it,but I'm happy with it.

Comment

Another stunning job Mark!! It came together great and unless you knew where the glue joints were you would think it was carved all together.
                            It's hard to tell from the pictures but how did you carve the vine's bark? Just leave the chisel facets? Thanks for sharing and good luck on the next carving.

Comment

wow, thank you mark ! a wonderful work, it came together so nicely,yes, it looks rich and leafy, as it should be with a topic like that. great work.

Comment

Thank you Doris and Roger. Now if I could just "leaf" it alone. I keep seeing things here and there,,picking,,driving myself nuts. Cleaning this thing up is like trying to clean up an English Muffin, all the nooks and crannies!

Yes Roger, I sanded the leaves and flowers but left the chisel marks on the vine itself. Subtle but nice contrast. Will probably show up well with a finish on it. Then the little facets will reflect light a bit differently than a smoothly sanded surface.
                                That's the theory anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X