Red Shouldered Hawk carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Shouldered Hawk carving

Hello everyone, I have been very busy on this big project. It is a Red Shouldered hawk ( Full Size ) coming in for a landing because it is getting attacked by a field sparrow, this is because the hawk raided his nest. I am starting on the wings as we speak. I made the stand also which will have Red wood maple burl on top of the base and the main stand which is poplar wood will be black I believe when finished. I hope you like the pictures I can't wait till this one is done. I will keep the pictures coming as usual. Happy Carving!

Re: Red Shouldered Hawk carving

What a nice carving, it looks so real!
    My ETSY shop:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

Shaping up very nicely. I'll be checking back on this one! :-)

Comment

WOW!!!! This is absolutely unbelievable - I love it. Can't wait to see your WIP's on this one!

Mark

Comment

You bird carvers are amazing. That is a beatifull piece so far. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Comment

Incredible detail. I don't know much about birds but it sure looks accurate. That is a lot of patience and skill. How many hours do you have invested at this point?
            Bob
            Anthony
            Corryton, TN

Comment

Hi Bob, I don't know how many hours so far I put into it, but I know I started August 20th of this year. I believe it will be done by January if everything turns out write. Birdcarver

Comment

You know bird carver, you can't just get a bird stuffed and pretend you carved it. lol.

O M G. That is amazing. The first picture is scarily real. How did you do the eye. And I assume the wings and feet are different pieces. This is up there with the best carvings I've seen. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Great work.

Comment

Wonderful carving and fantastic action. I, too, am looking forward to seeing this one progress. Keep posting photos.

Comment

Birdcarver, that is shaping up to be an inspiring piece. More so because of the subject matter. I don't know how many folks realize the "harassing" action many smaller birds take against the larger raprors. Even when the large birds are simply soaring, the smaller threatened ones will attack from above.

We have a population of bald eagles that hang out soaring above the bluff just behind our home. One morning a few years back I was watching a lone eagle just cruising along with two or three ravens pestering him. After a few minutes of this, the eagle seemed to tire of the game, and as one raven dived on him, the eagle flared his wings, put on the brakes, threw those deadly talons skyward and snagged the raven right out of the air. I don't know how many have had the opportunity to witness such action, but I felt truly blessed to have been there at just the right moment.

Can't wait to see your carving completed!

Al

Comment

Working...
                    X