Cloth and folds studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloth and folds studies

No, it's not carving so I don't know if it belongs here but it is another new project, so..... These are the first 3 of 6 statues that are coming into the shop for restoration. The reason I'm posting them is I think they are great studies of cloth, the way it hangs , folds and drapes along a form. I think it's interesting to see how others have handled these situations and were able to utilize it to accent a piece.

I know there are some books out there that cover this topic and much interest seems to be generated by them,,but sometimes it's instructive to actually see some decent examples.

And also,,painting. Now granted these are in for repair / repainting,,but it's also neat to see how eyes, faces,etc. were painted and possible solutions for other carvings.

For now these just stand around and watch me carve the Wisteria desk. But the one on the right has to get done VERY soon,,,,like,,,, yesterday. Just one of the many hats I wear.

Re: Cloth and folds studies

I can't tell from the photos, Mark...Are these carved from wood or are they plaster sculptures?

Bob

Comment

Yeah,,heresy,,Plaster! Check the second photo and you can see the dreaded stuff under the chipped paint. Paint does peel off wood,,but not like it can from damp plaster,,,potato chip size. Makes it easy to strip to some extent. You should see the other 3 that are soon to arrive. What a mess!

Most of the wooden statues that I've worked on were left natural,,or at the most stained. Most like to see that it's actually wood.

Other than that,,I thought the cloth at least was interesting and these were offered with that intent.

And the warehouse where several of these have come from left behind about 50+ of their friends in various states of disrepair or just plain bad homemade paint jobs. Guess who's gonna get the work? And they've turned this collection over twice in this past year alone.

I won't get 'em all,,but what do I get myself into at times?

Comment

I agree. I think it is a great study (I wasn't trying to catch you being a heretic <GRIN>). It was pure curiosity on my part.

Bob

Comment

Kinda thought so!
          But really ,,think about it. Now these are simply religious statues,,,,but....

Couldn't the wings on St Michael serve as an inspiration for wings on a dragon or gargoyle and how they were handled?

The head wraps on either of the female statues ,,couldn't they be similar to a scarf wrapped around Mrs.Claus's head or neck and see how they're draped?

The scroll,,that could be Santa's list?

The robes themselves ,,couldn't they be a robe on an old world type santa instead of the traditional outfit he wears.

The paint itself,,the way it was handled to show depth,folds,highlights?

Just some thoughts as to how nothing means what it represents to me.

Comment

I agree. It's a tribute to the origional sculptor that I couldn't tell at first glance (ie before you pointed out the peeling paint) if these were plaster or wood. Both media have similar limitations when it comes to representing forms, so if it works for plaster I'm sure it will work for wood.

Bob

Comment

Wood,Plaster,,same thing only different. Both viable mediums for expression. Except one really doesn't belong here.LOL

But I tend to think either has not limited, but unlimited forms for expression. Being that these are specific statues can in a way limit ideas if they are viewed in that context alone. Actually I believe forms only exist as what they are in relation to other forms or in the context they are viewed in. Once you take something out of it's setting it can then take on another meaning. The only thing that exists in and of itself is an idea. Once you put it in context,,well ,, it takes on the meaning of the surroundings. I just like to pull things ( forms) out of context and make them whatever I want them to be.
              Now the "Angels" wings go on a dragon,,etc.
              If viewed for what they are,, they remain stagnant..imagination and dis-assembling them into parts,,well,, off they go to some other home. Essential forms are unlimited in what they can become. Seeing them only as statues,,they're fixed in your mind as such.
              Not holding these images as a fixed point makes carving easy.

Comment

Not holding these images as a fixed point makes carving easy
                yes exactely,,, i have a big, huge collection of images of all kinds. i love to look through them, and more often than not, i see some part which i find inspiring on one foto, which solves a problem i had in a very different context. ... thanks for these nice examples of cloth, mark, they go into my folder for inspiration

Comment

How did I know you'd see the value here Doris?

Comment

I would guess that all good artists (and craftsmen) are keen observers. It has always amazed me to see the drape of cloth and folds done in marble sculpture or wood.

Comment

Thanks for posting the pics Mark. They do provide great reference. Good luck in the project(s) of repairing them.
                      Member of Caricature Carvers of America
                      My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

Thanks Mark I am currently doing a carving of Mary, so the timing of this post is good. I'm trying for flowing lines and less realism but its still good reference. glad to see your keeping busy

Comment

My nickles worth. Michaelangelo, Titian, and most of the old masters would take cloth that had been soaked with plaster and drape it over a models torso. After it had dried sufficiently they would remove it and would now have a model to work from and would make many of these various pieces to comprise a morque from which they could use when needed. No different from us using a study skin with the exception that it was also in the round.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                          X