Catalog stick...finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalog stick...finally

I'm sorry it took so long to post pictures of my "catalog stick" but I finally got someone to take some pictures. First of all I'll explain "catalog stick". When people come to me to do a carving they really don't know how much detail they want so I show them this stick which has a little bit of everything on it. After they decide how much detail I can get down to content and design. I use Poplar a lot because it's easy to carve, pretty strong, and lightweight. The drawback is lack of grain so I use a fairly dark stain and, before it dries completely, wipe off the highlights with a rag. I, then, apply multiple coats of laquer. I hope the pictures turn out.
    Tim

Re: Catalog stick...finally

Here's a couple of more views. I had fun, isn't that what counts?

By the way, I watch "Out West Woodcarving" a lot. Thanks Lynn, This was done with a box knife and a Helvie!!

Tim

Comment

Hi Doc,

Nice carving on your stick. Do you have photos of other sticks?
      Ron T.
      http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

Ron T,
        I just had a friend stop in where I volunteer with 5 straight Poplar sticks about 8 ft. long. I'll peel them in the morning and get to work! It's like Christmas. Can't wait to see what's hiding in them sticks. Will post as I finish them. Thanks for the encouragement.
        Tim

Comment

Tim, I carve with poplar some and thanks for the staining tip. By the way those are real nicely carved sticks. You have talent with that old box knife. Keep at it.

Comment

Great carvings, and great idea.
            Thanks for sharing

Randy

Comment

Pretty nice. How do you do the texturing that is around the flowers?

Comment

That stick is amazing.

Wonderful job.

Can't wait to see more!

Comment

I`m sure glad you described what a "catalog stick" is.
                  What a good idea and some superb skill on show.
                  Maybe one day I can reach that standard, but, I`m guessing not.

Comment

Originally posted by toycarver View Post
                    Pretty nice. How do you do the texturing that is around the flowers?
                    That's what's time consuming. I made a palm holder and inserted a nail, that's right a nail! If you haven't guessed by now, those holes were made one at a time, whew!

I try not to use anything mechanical, I'm somewhat of a "purist". Same with bow hunting, traditional bow and cedar shaft arrows. If anyone has an easier way to "stipple" the backround without using power tools, please, let me know?

I enjoy learning new techniques through this site, and look forward to more.

Tim

Comment

Timberwolf;

I'm, originally, from Michigan. Rothbury to be exact. The nice thing about Poplar in that neck of the woods is you can harvest it in the winter when the sap isn't flowing so it "checks" less. If you cure the stick with the bark on, it is hard to strip it off. I peel mine green and then dry it. If you haven't tried Poplar, try it! There's a lot of Poplar back there.

Have fun and have at it.

Tim

Comment

Tim that is some very nice carving to say the least! What a great idea to carve a 'sample or catalog stick' to show prospective client... One of my son's is a 'stick carver' and I'm going to send him the photos of your stick...he'll enjoy them as much as I did! Thanks for sharing them and be sure and post some photos of your future carvings!
                        Kenn

Comment

I can see where that would be time consuming. Nice look though, so worth the effort. I think in some cases you could burn small holes in the wood, don't know if that is considered mechanical in your book. ..and with the stained finish, it might not be the look you are after.

Comment

Originally posted by toycarver View Post
                            I can see where that would be time consuming. Nice look though, so worth the effort. I think in some cases you could burn small holes in the wood, don't know if that is considered mechanical in your book. ..and with the stained finish, it might not be the look you are after.
                            Kris, I'll give it a try to see what it looks like. No, I don't consider burning mechanical ! Thanks

Tim

Comment

Doc.
                              As for stippling I have a wooden dowel that i drilled a 1/4 in hole in. I then placed several finishing nails 5-6 into the hole. I then shot a wad of 2 part epoxy into the hole filling all the space up. After this dries just cut to size. The trick is to stipple in a random pattern while using it, other wise you end up with a bunch of circles
                              Good luck hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                              X