Eagle with green eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle with green eyes

Note: this project was started under the thread "Haida-style mask." Since it is a new project, let's continue under a new thread: See post #5 for the original piece of this design.

This eagle wall decoration is 1-1/4" x 10" x 26" yellow cedar (or Nootka Cypress). It will have insets of green tigereye. The design is Northwest Coastal "First Nation" (Indian). The original has insets of abalone shell.

I have completed the overall shape and have started some of the incised details. The final details near the tigereye insets will be done after the insets are in place.

Re: Eagle with green eyes

The progress on this carving continues - - slowly. I've done some of the incised details in the wings. Today the 13 green tiger eye insets will be done and I can begin fitting them into the piece.

Comment

Nice work, Phil, but I'm getting tired of shavings all over the house!

Comment

This is a quick look at the Eagle with the tiger eye insets in place. In the right light they are really flashy. There will be more incised design in the body ovoid.

The completed piece will be 10" x 26" yellow cedar with 13 green tiger eye insets - with clear natural finish.

Comment

Beautiful work Phil. I've always admired the carving style of the coastal British Columbian indians. So do the Seahawks.

Tim

Comment

The recesses for the stone insets are now cut and fitted, but I'll not glue the stones in until after final sanding and finish - don't want to cover the tiger eye with varnish. In the first photo you can see the glint of the iridescent bands in the stone. The second photo shows the large stone in the wing ovoid, and the last photo shows the stones in the tail feathers. There are 13 stones total.

Comment

Phil, that is really beautiful. You are really progressing well. I look forward to seeing the finished project.

Comment

Phil, very nice piece!-Mimi- my hubby gets tried of my wood shavings all over the kitchen floor and counter!LOL

Comment

It's about finished! After applying a clear acrylic finish, I glued in the tiger eye stones. Here are a couple of photos. The second photo shows the back of the carving. There is a custom among some NW Coast First Nations carvers to make tool marks on the entire surface. So I've done that.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
                    It's about finished! After applying a clear acrylic finish, I glued in the tiger eye stones. Here are a couple of photos. The second photo shows the back of the carving. There is a custom among some NW Coast First Nations carvers to make tool marks on the entire surface. So I've done that.
                    Phil, that really turned out nicely. I must say that they back of that piece is mighty attractive. What did you use for the tool marks? Looks like maybe a 7 - 10 mm #3.?

Comment

Hi Phil,

What a beautiful piece - you've really done an outstanding job with this one!!!

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X