First project... A sword.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First project... A sword.

So this is my first project, been working on it for about 3 weeks now. It all started when I was bored in my garage, looking for something to do. I had some scrap wood left over from an old broken table that I was repurposing as a new end table. I think the wood is oak, but I'm not 100% on that.

The wood is about 3ft long, about an inch and a half wide and about 3/4 an inch thick. I'm slowly carving it in the shape of a sword using nothing but a carpet knife. (Saving up some money to buy a proper set of knives.) The holes were there when I started. As I said, it was just a piece of scrap I decided to start carving in to.

In any case, here it is in it's obviously far from finished state.

Re: First project... A sword.

great start. I often have kids do a letter opener or knife to start. This is just a larger scale, though oak is a hard wood and tough to start with. But this one is a good way to practice your stop cuts and some knife control to get the blade right. Try using a simple utility knife. It's cheap and the feel of sharpness for you to get used to. Keep at it!

Comment

I made my own Boken and Bo Staff for martial arts training from hickory and my Han Bo from ash.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.. I will post again when I get a bit further on it.

Comment

So last night after carving for an hour on this thing I decided to pick up a piece of 2x4 in my scrap pile and see what kind of difference there was.. Holy Crap! Cutting the 2x4 was like cutting with a hot knife through butter.. What on earth was I thinking carving on the hardest piece of wood I could find?

Comment

Wait till you get a piece of basswood, you will think the pine 2x4 was a toughie

Comment

Originally posted by PerpetuallyNewCarver View Post
              Wait till you get a piece of basswood, you will think the pine 2x4 was a toughie

I second this, I used to only carve in scap wood until my brother gave me a hunk of basswood. Night and Day.

I am working on some small things with a found peice of maple now, It made me stop slacking and break out the scrolls saw to shape it first.

Tharkis.. the wood maybe hard to carve, but to use as a practice sword, the hardness will be welcomed later. Keep at it.

Comment

Working...
              X