Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miodóg na Beatha WIP

Hi All!,
    Well I've been working on this project for about 3 weeks or so. I have been asking a lot of questions and getting some great advise from the folks here. (Many Many Thanks) I am some distance into the piece already, so I apologize for not starting at the beginning, but as you will see, I was not really sure I could make it work (looks good in my head!) and it's only now starting to take some shape.
    Here is the premise of the project: 1st the Title:
    "Miodóg na Beatha" - Gaelic for :"Dagger of Life".

My Idea came from Lignum Vitae - Tree Of Life {Guaiacum officinale}, SO there is a "play" on words.

1. The blade is actually carved from wood that comes from "The Tree Of Life". and

2. Not that it will be used this way!(It is strictly art!) But I'm using the Irony that this Instrument carved from something that was alive at one point is a tool that can be used to take life.

I learned that
    Lignum Vitae - Tree Of Life {Guaiacum officinale} was one of the worlds densest and hardest woods so I thought if I could pull it off and make a blade out of the wood the Irony would be pretty neat. Then I did some more researching and decided that the whole project would be really cool if I pushed some other extremes also. That's when I decided to use Gabon Ebony (The Blackest Wood) and Holly (The Whitest Wood) Both very dense and hard in their own right for accents and the handle.

I am honoring and hopefully imbuing strength into the piece by inlaying a piece of Red Oak into the handle and carving Oak leaves and acorns throughout.

That said, today I want to post a couple of pictures of the crosspiece I've been working on the last 2 nights. It is carved from Gabon Ebony and approximately 2 3/4" long. I still have some defining and have not done any finishing to it yet. It will also be cut and fit to wrap the blade...
    I will post other pics as I go from now on. I'm seeing an end in sight now...
    Initially, I wanted to have it for the contest that was ended here on the 30th of June, but family came from out of town for a couple of weeks and I had to put it down... oh well. Critiques are always welcome! Thanks for all the help everyone here has given me...

Re: Miodóg na Beatha WIP

Your carving is beautiful!
    My ETSY shop:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

Sharon, Thank you! That is a huge compliment coming from you, I spent about an hour looking at your carvings. I love your work!

Update:

I have some more photos to post tonight.. I finished the detail work on the Crosspiece last night and I'm having a heck of a time taking good photos of the Gabon Ebony! I am also including the pieces of the dagger.

Again, the blade is Lignum Vitae, the Oak Leaf round (Inlay that fits in the handle) is Red Oak, the Triquetra is Holly, and the Handle and Crosspiece is Gabon Ebony.

Comment

This going to be so awesome! I look forward to seeing it done. And thank you for looking at my gallery.
        My ETSY shop:
        https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

That's looking great...thanks for sharing the thoughts behind the process. Your wood choices look good together.
          'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
          http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Very nice looking work. I read about Lignum Vitae years ago and how hard it is plus how it contains sand that really dulls cutting tools. With that extra bit of difficulyt in mind I can really appreciate your efforts. Thanks for sharing neighbor.

Ed

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Thank you everyone for the nice comments! I have only been able to sign in briefly and read stuff from the forum but I haven't been able to post for a few days though. You know how things go... life happens...

Ed I had no idea there was sand in the Lignum.! It is very resinous and the sawdust isn't really sawdust more like waxy lumps that stick together. To be honest my impression of the wood is like a hard composite or plastic.. By the way you really are a neighbor! Just a stones throw!

I have made a little progress since I last posted So I will share a few pics again. These photos today will have the design drawn on in pencil. You will note there is a seam between the 2 halves of the handle. I'm holding this together with rubber cement right now. I'll try and post more tommorow

Comment

AWESOME!!! Beautiful carving showing great skill and attention to detail. Love it.

Comment

Beautiful Carving, can't wait to see it done. fred k

Comment

Awesome idea. Really beautiful wood and carvings can't wait to see it all come together at the end

Comment

Thank you Josef and Fred! I'm itchin' to get back to it but I'm currently at my day job...

Comment

Your project is looking great,as Ed mentioned,the wood being very hard,and causes havoc on knife have you bee using edge tools or power tools on your awesome project? Thanks for sharing.
                          Oscar

Comment

Thank you Hannibal for the encouragement and compliment!

Oscar, I have used power exclusively. I have never really handled any edge tools. Nothing outside of files and rasps and Exacto knives from time to time. I have great respect for and envy of everyone that can use hand tools though!

Comment

Well, I have a few more pictures of my progress to share with everyone, I hope you don't mind... posting the progress is keeping me motivated to finish

I have completed outlining the design and have begun to relieve the negative space (I'm not sure what the technical term is!). Ultimately, the handle will be closer to a ovoid shape around instead of the squarish shape it is currently. I'll be back at it tonight after I post these pics.

Have a good night all and thanks for looking!

P.S. Please forgive the dirty fingernails! That Ebony gets everywhere!

Comment

Working...
                              X