Toughest Pawnee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toughest Pawnee

Western fans may recall this guy from the 1990 movie "Dances With Wolves", perhaps (if I got him recreated well enough). He is my interperation of the actor Wes Studi, who played the part so well. Carved in Butternut, it stands 8" tall, and the bear claw necklace is carved in Basswood. Still have some more finish to apply, but you get the idea from this. Practice makes perfect, and I can see I need plenty of practice. Who can spot the areas needing practice?

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Re: Toughest Pawnee

Hi Bob,

Very nicely done. That's a lot of detail you put into him.
    Ron T.
    http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

Great carving Bob, as I could do no better I will not give any criticism. Well done. Joe.

Comment

Very nice! Lots of detail.
        Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Josef View Post
          Great carving Bob, as I could do no better I will not give any criticism. Well done. Joe.
          Ditto! Very fine carving. Love the contrasts.
          Terry

Comment

Very impressive details. Love the expression too.

Comment

I do remember him from the movie...

You have captured his toughness in his expression and in his eyes. Great job on his "do" too, Bob!

Cheers,
              Jim

Comment

Bob, I have had the advantage of being able to compare a photo of Wes Studi with your carving. An advantage that I needed very much since I am not a people carver. The way you have captured the angularity of his face is amazing.

I have only three observations, can't even truly call them critiques, of areas that perhaps need improvement. The first is that you might put a little more eyebrow on the carving. The second is that the neck seems a little too small, this could be because the bear claws are too large.

Well done, my Frien'. Another "warrior" bust to add to your collection.

Comment

Bob, I think you did a really fine carving!
                  My ETSY shop:
                  https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

Well done Bob, awesome detail!

Dave

Comment

Bob,
                      Nice carving!
                      Only because you asked - the ears are too high. The top of the ears should be about level with the center of the eyes.
                      Bill K.
                      Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Thank you folks, good observations and right on the money! I did go a bit overboard on carving the neck, so brought the bear claw necklace up to cover the mistake, it should rest on his shoulders. Can't remember what happened to his eyebrows!? Well done Paul. Bill, I got you on this one, the angle of the photograph is what fooled you, the top of the ears are actually level with the top of the nose and the bottom of the ears level with the bottom of the nose.

The neck is the "stand out" mistake, so I have to keep at it until I perfect heads. Am almost finished another in the Western actor series, so stay tuned!

Bob
                        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Working...
                        X