Another weeks work, WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another weeks work, WIP

For those following progress on the model, another week has passed and steady progress has been made. Deck detail is progressing, inside of the rail, cabins, and hatches. It's slowly taking shape. Soon time to begin painting and finishing. The cabins are not quite completed, and are not guled in place, but placed there for the photos.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Re: Another weeks work, WIP

Absolutly stunning Bob wow your attention to detail is amazing. If it were not for the shop and table take all that away and it looks like the real thing. I dont know if you mentioned it before but if you did I missed it what are the dimentions of the ship? Thanks for keeping us updated I just love to see the progress and look forward to it. Amazing work my friend you are a real master.
    Colin
    Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
    Jackson, MS

Comment

Stunning! Bob your work just amazes me!

Comment

I envy you your ability and knowledge of the subject Bob! I watched a program last night on the HMS Victory and automatically thought of you!
        "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I have to agree with Colin. Before I saw his comments, the thought went thru my mind (what there is of it) that with the right background, you wouldn't be able to tell that it is a model. Just a fantastic job. Very well done.
          Garon (Carver6)

Comment

It's a model?? I thought he was building a ship to sail out here to join the Arizona Navy!!

Comment

wow !
              I love your ships! Do you realy use planking for the sides I can't imagine how long that might take. I only ever made one model ship and the main part woas all one piece. but then I did make it from a picture in a coloring book
              silas

Comment

Hi_Ho,
                Arizona does have a fairly large Navy! When I moved there from Oregon in 1984, I needed a trailer. A friend told me, "They're boat crazy in AZ, buy a boat and trailer to haul your things on, then sell it there!" I thought he was crazy himself, but I couldn't find a trailer for sale, so I bought an old wooden boat, trailer and motor for $65.00, moved to AZ, sold the unrunning old motor for $75, then the boat for $225 without the trailer, built a box on the trailer and used it for 10 years! I lived in Tucson and there was no water near, but everybody had hopes of getting to the water someday! So there are lots of boats in Arizona! Civilian Navy, I guess....
                Wade

Comment

It is looking good, isn't it. Did you notice "Hanford"? He's my fine finish cabinetmaker (and scale checker) . He's standing on deck in photo number two, just forward of the cabin. He don't say much, and it's hard to get much work out of him, but he's useful. He's carved/shaped from Boxwood, to keep me from making mistakes in scale.

The length is about 24" on deck, planked in Basswood. Rail is Mahogany.

Thanks for the encouragement folks. I'll try and keep you posted. Our last day at the display tomorrow. Lug everything back home for another year, and back to working in my own shop.

Bob
                  Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Bob,

Great job. Your attention to detail is awsome! Keep those pictures coming!

mikeg
                    Mike B

Comment

Wade you forgot about the rillito river! LOL And besides, they are all waiting for the "big" earthquake in California, will make arizona beach front property ha ha

Comment

Bob,
                        Hanford really sets it to scale! I hadn't noticed him before you mentioned him. Incredible! Beautiful work, even more so since seeing Hanford and the scale!
                        Have fun "moving home".
                        Wade

Comment

Bob,

The progress is really fantastic and professional in all areas.

Educate me on how you go about converting actual size down to your scale of choice? I'm also guessing then that each and every part has to be "scaled down" in the same way to keep a true proportion of all the elements?

Comment

Coffeeman, scale is always a challenge, I have to convert the drawings to the scale I want first and then work, measure off the scale on the drawing. Easier now that I get the drawings reduced by an engineering company, but still have to do "working drawings" by hand. Also sketches (to scale) of parts, fittings and furnature. Like this longboat I did today. "Hanford" is 5' 8" tall in scale, ( 11/16" high) and today he's caulking the hull, that's a caulking mallet in his hand.

Bob

Comment

Bob I went back checking the photos of your wip on the Marco Polo when I saw this one and realized that the coin wasn't a quarter as I had first thought but a Canadian dime. Which makes the scale your working at half again as small as I had thought. Great work, I leave fuzzies bigger than some of your finished pieces. LOL Don

Originally posted by squbrigg
                              Coffeeman, scale is always a challenge, I have to convert the drawings to the scale I want first and then work, measure off the scale on the drawing. Easier now that I get the drawings reduced by an engineering company, but still have to do "working drawings" by hand. Also sketches (to scale) of parts, fittings and furnature. Like this longboat I did today. "Hanford" is 5' 8" tall in scale, ( 11/16" high) and today he's caulking the hull, that's a caulking mallet in his hand.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X