Repair a cane, hawks beak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair a cane, hawks beak

One of the difficulties in carving a birds head in a cane is the vulnurability of the beak to damage. Low and behold, one of my favorite canes ( a Harris Hawk) fell and snapped off the beak ....... damm. How do I fix that!!!

Well, I managed to. I drilled two small holes up into the beak where it broke and inserted two 3/4" common nails, with the heads cut off, and bent them to the shape of the beak and to meet at the tip of the beak. I epoxied these into position. Then I mixed some two part A/B epoxy (the putty like stuff) and shaped roughly a new beak. When good and dry, I used my Foredom to shape myself a brand new beak. A little paint and presto, good as new. Only better than new, cause once the paint dried, I coated the entire beak with epoxy, and it gave the beak a beautiful shine like a real beak and will provide additional strength to prevent a recurrance of the original break.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Re: Repair a cane, hawks beak

Hi Bob. Looks great. Nice job. Thank you for sharing with us. Paul

Comment

Great repair work Bob! Did you use 'standard' thickness epoxy or real thin material?

Ron

Comment

Very clever Bob you had your thinking hat on that day my friend. Looks great with a glossy beak.

Comment

Nice repair....I am rapping mine now I broke so many nose...
          Thanks for sharring...

Comment

Your repair looks pretty good to me.I did the same thing on an Eagle head cane I put a 1/8 " dowel in it and used gorella glue and it held pretty good its not to bad when painted the line is covered but on a stain it's a little different. Like you I was really ticked off when I nocked mine over but then it does happen.Good luck.
            Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Northwest29 View Post
              Did you use 'standard' thickness epoxy or real thin material?
              I used full strength epoxy Ron. and an old paint brush to apply it. You have to be quick as the epoxy is quick to begin setting up and will become too thick to work.

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Great work Bob, guess this gives you a preview of the commissioned cane?

Comment

Great idea and very nice job on the repair - looks really good.

Comment

Working...
                  X