Civil war chess set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil war chess set

Here is the progress on the civil war chess set I said I would be working on. I have two more pawns to carve (blanks shown in the picture.)

I am making a similar hair style for each opposing pawn... brother and against brother you know. The cannons (rooks) will be mounted vertically atop a stack of cannon balls.

I have drawn up the knights and bishops in two styles. One is similar to the pawns, full bodies but famous generals. The other style is busts of the famous generals. I have a couple ideas swimming around in my noggin on how to mark and designate each as their commonly known piece names. Whichever way I go the bases on the back row will be a little taller than the pawns to avoid confusion.

General Lee will be the queen on the CSA side, General Grant on the USA. President Davis will be King as will Mr. Lincoln. These will all be full body for sure.

So, I am about 1/2 way down with the carving. The painting is what I dread!

Joe

Re: Civil war chess set

This will make a great addition to anyone's collection and display. Stay focused, you don,t have but a few different colors to paint. Great job so far. Look forward to the finish post.
    Steve Brown Woodcarving

Comment

A great start Joe. This set will be a winner for sure..

Tom H
      http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sure looks good to me looking forward to seeing the finished set

Comment

Looking great Joe,it will be a great treasure when finished.
          Oscar

Comment

WOW!
            That is going to be a great set.
            Its all fun!
            Terry

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

Good show, Joe
              Herb

Comment

Great looking set of pawns. I made a chess set & pictured about a month ago or so & received some feedback from a chess instructor on the size differences between my the pieces. Here's what he said: the shortest piece(s) should be the pawns. Slightly taller should be the Rook/Castle, a little taller will be the Knight, then Bishop - the King & Queen should be the tallest figures & of equal height. Just something to consider. This was his opinion & not mine since I didn't make my set that way but I can see his point. But then, your set is EXTREMELY better than the one I whittled.

Comment

I've carved two Halloween chess sets....both sold! My newest endeavor is a "blue collar worker vs. white colar worker" one. Any ideas would be welcome. For the pawns I will carve lunch buckets and briefcases!!!

Comment

Good start Joe will be looking forward to seeing the finished work.
                    Gary

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have it all laid out again tonight thinnking it all out. Bases, details, etc...

Thanks for the comments!

Comment

"I've carved two Halloween chess sets....both sold! My newest endeavor is a "blue collar worker vs. white colar worker" one. Any ideas would be welcome. For the pawns I will carve lunch buckets and briefcases!!! "

You should make a Democrat vs. Republican one and sell it on Election years.

Comment

Whittlewomen/Sharon - do you happen to have any pictures. Not to take anything away from the original post. Since the chess pieces 'should' be very similar (except for color) - what did you use for pawns? The OP has blue & gray guys for his pawns & the kings will be a bit different (Grant & Lee). Just wondering. f.y.i. - I don't have that much imagination to 'create'.

Comment

Hey Big Barn, Click Whittle Women's name on her post and you can select to goto her homepage. She has a couple pics there of her chess set.

Comment

Real nice start to your set, Joe, can't wait to see it finished. fred k

Comment

Working...
                              X