Something totally different!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something totally different!

From football players, that is! I'm trying to get three Santas done up before the end of the month and thought I'd share this one with you guys because I think it's going to be so cute...at least I hope so!!

I mentioned earlier this year I was trying to get a more 'realistic' look to children and so far I'm happy with how this little guy is turning out. Children's proportions are so very different from adults, and they change with each year they age. I'm really beginning to like doing children...okay, you guys know me...I like carving everything! I hope you like my little Santa baby! Deborah

P.S. BobD, you made putting pictures on here soooo easy! Thanks!

Re: Something totally different!

Deborah,
    Here you go again setting the bar a little higher what a novel idea, a baby santa. From what I see so far I think it will be absolutly fabulous. It is nice to know you dont forget my name when you are famousWink
    Colin
    Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
    Jackson, MS

Comment

it looks great

the detail in the face is awsome.just like the rest of it,cant wait to see it finished
      ron

Comment

Beautiful work (again) Deborah. I have tried a few carvings of children a few years ago - not nearly as successful as your attempt here. They are difficult to carve....especially with the "rustic" style that I use in my carvings. (Note: "Rustic" to copy someone's description earlier about leaving knife marks.)

I may get some inspiration from you and try it again.
        Member of Caricature Carvers of America
        My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

Wonderful!
          You are another carver that I wish I could watch from over your shoulder.
          Please post more in progress images as you go, now that you've gotten so good at posting.
          Thor
          Steve

Comment

Debbie, very nice. That toddler has wonderful fat and chumpy thighs ... just perfect.

Susan
            Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
            LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
            CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

WOW! Baby

Great Carving!

Comment

Very nice Debra, I'm assuming that maybe the other item is going to be a large wrapped box? Anyway, Great Job, looking forward to the completed piece, will be a motivator for sure.

Comment

Outstanding work....as usual! lol....now you've done it! Now we expect it!! ha haCowboyTalking
                  "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Thats really Great. Maybe think about carving him each year as he grows! Would be a unique collection of Santas. I have a request to do Santa Kneeling at baby Jesus's cradle. I kinda got it in mind just got to get my hands to do it. I know I can pull off the Santa part it will be getting the baby right that will be the challenge.
                    Goody

Comment

Thanks everyone, for the great compliments! Colin, I could never forget you, but I'm curious..... I watch Antiques Road show....just how long do I have to be dead before I become famous?? Sarcastic

Yes, Coffeeman, the other thing is going to be a wrapped Christmas present. I started working on the bow last night, sure doesn't look much like a bow though, at this point!!

Goody, this piece is promised to the Gallery. I intend to do a baby Santa for me after the first of the year and I like your idea about the baby growing up.....I like it a lot!! That would make a terrific collection! Thanks for the great idea, I can see it, all the way though....oh yes, I can definitely see it! Thank you, thank you!!

When you do your baby Jesus, a couple things I have learned (thank you very much, Gordon!!), to make the piece look more like a baby than a 'small adult', are these simple measuring tricks. A baby is 'four heads' high, in other words, what ever size his head is, his body size will be three more 'head sizes' long. Also, a baby's facial features are lower than an adults. An adults eyes are placed in the center the head, measuring from top of head to chin. A baby's eyebrows are pretty much on that center line, putting his eyes lower. Just keeping those two things in mind will help to make your baby look more like a baby! Good luck with your carving, we will be looking forward to seeing it!

Again, thank you all for the great compliments! Deborah

Comment

Darling little Santa.You won't have any problem selling that one for sure. Love the face and diaper on him or her. Love the way you did the present also. When it is finished, no one will be able to tell it isn't a real present.

To copy HiHO, OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, Kenny! Here's the finished baby, hope you all like how he turned out. I still see room for improvement on making 'baby size proportions' but I think I'm getting closer to getting it right! If you want to see the other views, click on my website link below, he's in the Newest Carvings Album. Deborah

Comment

Cute Callyne, your carvings are fantastic

Comment

Deborah,
                              Did anyone ever tell you you're incredible? I mean, in the last 5 minutes. How does a person go about collecting your work? You captured the sweetness of the baby! What would have shocked us is, if you HADN'T!
                              Your work is always beautiful!
                              Wade

Comment

Working...
                              X