Carving a Red Tail Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving a Red Tail Hawk

Started on this Red Tail 3 weeks ago, it will take another three weeks to finish, if then. The hawk is ready to detail and burn. Using reference from photos forwarded to me by Richard Milholm, (carver) I made a pattern, The alert pose of the bird, one wing slightly dropped, ready to move, should show up better when its painted. The painting reference will be taken from the same photo. There is extra wood left around the bill to prevent it from being broken. Usually the bill is the last thing to get finished, carve it , and use a wood hardener to help protect the small hook on the end of the bill. Added three more photos, He is ready to paint.(finally)

Re: Carving a Red Tail Hawk

Wow--very excellant detail. Great job Hugh. Thanks for the peek.

Comment

WOW....now that is a carving! Smile Outstanding job Hugh, I love to watch the process, can't wait to see the burning effect next, then the final painting. I am so glag that BobD put this WIP section in. Well done Hugh, keep up the good work.

Bob
      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Hugh- Great job on the detail and proportions look to be very acurate I can't wait to see the finished project. Thanks for sharing. Ron

Comment

Excellent hawk. I can't imagine where you began with a project like that.
          Even the rough cut out would have been interesting to see, and the progress beyond and into this stage.
          Thanks for letting us see it. Great piece of art.
          humbly,
          Thor
          Steve

Comment

some more pics when done Hugh, would like to see it frontal ready to take flight! (how big are the patterns?)
            "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

nice hugh
              i got to get down there to check it out in person
              ron

Comment

Hugh it looks like you are feeling better and I am so pleased to hear that. The carving is nothing short of magnificent. It is as good in progress as it will be in completion. I admire someone who can spend that long on a carving and achieve the results that you do. I am going to follow your lead and this winter when it gets too cold to carve outside I am going to try a detailed carving. Great, job and love to see the WIP thanks for sharing.
                ColinThumbs Up
                Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                Jackson, MS

Comment

Hi Hugh, just had to join the group your red tail hawk is progressing beautifully. We have a red tail hawk that sours above the canyon near our home. When the sun hits it's feathers the orangy red on the tail feathers is so viberant. I can't wait to see your red tail hawk when it's completed.
                  Kathy

Comment

Hugh, very nice! Can you please give us some more photos as you go through the burning process? I have only done a few detail song birds and ducks and understand the time that goes into the burning for the feathers.

Comment

That's looking great Hugh. Is that full size? It's hard to tell from the photograph.

Comment

Yes, its full size, about 20 Inches long.

Comment

OUTSTANDING as usual Hugh. Amazing how life like it appears. Maybe one of these days I will attempt a bird carving.

Can't wait to see the finished bird.

Comment

Yowza Hugh, That there is some of your best work!!! Great job, can't wait to see more...
                            When I cut myself, I bleed sawdust!
                            Please view my carving website and blog site: http://3crosseswoodcarving.com
                            My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/3CrossesWoodcarving
                            My Email: [email protected]
                            My Face book Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/3Cros...g/267742984970

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/3CrWoodcarving
                            My Etsy Store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/garymcdaniel

Comment

Hugh, that is fantastic!! I can't wait to see him completed! Great work! Thanks for sharing! Deborah

Comment

Working...
                              X