New Custom Caterpillar - Completes First Carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Custom Caterpillar - Completes First Carving

(Little Long ... sorry, but credit needs to be handed out)
    Shortly after I decided that I my leatherman was no longer suitable for what I aspired to do, I picked up a copy of WCI at our local (2 hours, away on a good day) Woodcraft store in Newington NH. In that, was an article about Sumner Mesenheimer and his diving otter, and pattern. As fate would have it, I found out that there was a carving show down in Mass the following weekend – Spirit in the Wood, can you guess who was going to be there?! Not only was I able to meet Mr Mesenheimer, I was able to hold that first place prize in my hands. Pictures never really do justice with some things, I am still in awe. – of both! I left there with a new beginning, sights set and a piece of butternut from TuckAWay lumber, but no knife.
    Struggling as you can imagine with the hardness and grain direction(s) of the butternut, I turned to you all for sharpening advice – which I have yet to completely conquer, but haven’t given up on either. My rendition of the otter sat for a long time, then I saw Brandant’s caterpillar knife with the scimitar blade and knew that was my answer. Indeed, I was able to complete in 5 days what I had been trying to do the past 4 months. I have picked up 100 knifes in my short time at this, and there is nothing that has come close to the stream lined comfort of the one he made for me! (My glove doesn’t even fit as well is this knife does) A huge shout out goes to Brandant and his masterful achievements, a true craftsman! Thank you sir, for all you do for others!
    The Otter is not complete, his face, a lot more sanding and then the finish. I am on the lookout for a piece of driftwood for the base.
    Just wanted to take the time to show you the progress and that all your efforts, thoughtfulness, words and videos (thank you Arleen and Gene for the You Tube Videos) – mentoring as you will – is not lost. This forum and all of you within its pages - are priceless and creates believers! Thank you WCI!!!
    Margo

Re: New Custom Caterpillar - Completes First Carving

Nice work on the otter - I like the stylized approach.

Claude
    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
    My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
    My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
    My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Thanks so much Claude!
      It still needs a finish and its face more detailed. I appreciate your feedback!
      Have a great day.
      Margo

Comment

Looking good Claude,I also went overboard with Brandand's caterpillar knife,it's
        the best knife I have so far.
        Oscar
        P.S. I'm not on Brandant's payroll,I just enjoy his knives.LOL

Comment

Margo,

Really a nice, well carved piece. And as far as the new knife goes - keep it close and keep an eye on it. My new Brandant knife was, shall I say, accidently picked up by someone else and now has a new home.

Again, a wll carved piece.

Tom H
          http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Awwww Tom!
            Noooooo ... How did that happen?
            So sorry to hear that! That's just wrong!
            I work at a college here and we are actually testing a nano chip right now for this exact purpose. Same principal as finding your iPhone, pet or car and prolly by now, a kid. The issue has been the cost - no one in their right mind is going to pay for the knife then pay just as much or more for the chip, although I think I might in order to save my Caterpillar from elusive predators!
            Will keep you posted, but thanks for the kind comments on my first carving!
            Margo

Comment

Looks great! Be sure and post pics of your otter finished, the idea of a driftwood base will really set him off, nice idea.
              Dan

Comment

Wow Margo, that's a beautiful otter! Nice looking knife too!
                My ETSY shop:
                https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

That's your first carving??? You'd have a good laugh if you saw mine! LOL
                  VERY nice work, Margo. He'll be beautiful finished, and I hope I get to see it! I LOVE Brandant's knife....I may have to get one myself! Bonnie

Comment

It's an Otter. Swimming. All of the unnecessary detail is gone. I admire anybody who can work in that style.
                    Brian T

Comment

Thanks for the kind words all!
                      Right now Otto the otter is going to sit on a shelf and stare at me until I can figure out how to bring him to life. The stylist approach is due to one huge brain cramp - my not knowing how to add the facial features. Not to worry, he has plenty of friends sitting there with him.
                      Chance

Comment

Nice touch looks great

Comment

Had to giggle when I saw the blade cover on your caterpillar knife. Same technological triumph as the one for my BrandantR knife! I like his sense of priority.
                          You're right. I don't know what it is about his knives but I'm doing things in detail & cleanup that no knife from any major maker wants to do.
                          Brian T

Comment

Working...
                          X