New Lettering Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Lettering Challenge

Here the starting incisions on the new lettering project. The design, by Scott Kim in 1987, features the entire alphabet in mirror symmetry. That is, if you draw a line down the vertical center, the left side matches the right side.
    This piece is basswood, 6" x 13" - most letters are 1-1/4" high

image_6304.jpgimage_6305.jpgimage_6306.jpgimage_6307.jpg
    Last edited by Claude; 01-19-2017, 03:18 PM. Reason: Restoring old photos to original message

Re: New Lettering Challenge

You have far more patience than I, well done so far. Will be looking forward to the progress. Joe.

Comment

This is less tedious that it looks. After another hour I was down to the "O" - but I will probably go back and widen all the lines. This piece is for my daughter-in-law who is a graphic artist and loves typography.

Comment

Very cool!! Is that your design or a pattern? If a pattern, where did you find it?

edit: oops, never mind, I found it after googling Escher....thanks for sharing

Comment

Now that is unique, and dauntingly challenging!

Comment

The incised outlines of the letters are now completed, mostly using a knife and sometimes a #12-6mm V-gouge. The knife was better for the curves. Now I've decided to drop the area around the letters and carve a frame.

Comment

Phil, Beautiful work. Scott Kim is amazing. Watched one of his seminars on YouTube. You do him justice.

Tim

Comment

After carving the background and frame, I sealed the surface of the lettering and applied a gel stain. It looked okay. Then I applied the stain to the background. Big mistake! It was too dark and too blotchy where it had soaked into the end grain. So I carved the background again and applied a lighter tone. Still not good, but I'm done with it.

Comment

Phil you always find the nicest design work, I am sure it will be outstanding like the rest of your work!
                  . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Another learning experience, thanks.

Tinwood

Comment

Interesting and attractive project, Phil. It looks so much larger than the actual dimensions in the pictures. I'm sure your daughter--in-law will love it..
                      Arthur

Comment

Beautiful work! Great to see this thread.

Comment

beautiful work

Comment

Another design by the amazing Scott Kim was this one in a discussion several years back. Alaskan Yellow Cedar - 5" x 14-1/2"

kimtype12.jpg

Comment

Unique!

Tinwood

Comment

Working...
                              X