Needed a "FIX" so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needed a "FIX" so...

I admit it, I'm a carving addict! There.... that wasn't so hard! I needed a fix, so I slipped off my schedule of working on the Marco Polo and hit the Cherry for another dragon cane! OOOOHHHHHH I love to carve....!

Just roughed out at this point, ready to begin detailing. Looking pretty good though....if I do say so myself. This one is a commission for a lady, ordered "sight unseen"! Hope she likes it.

Comments may be sent to the usual address.....Smile

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Re: Needed a "FIX" so...

Thumbs Up Wow Bob I'm sure glad you love to carve because I love to see your work. That dragon handle is really cool and I love the expression and that tooth on each side makes me smile.
    Excellent, now beginner question how will you finish it and how will you attach the handle to the cane/stick?
    Kathy

Comment

Looking good so far Bob, I'm looking forward to seeing completed. Aren't we sad, I never thought I could get addicted to carving. Luckily I have serveral projects lined out. Head Bange

Comment

Alright Bob!!! Now that's what I'm talkin' about!!! Now you're speaking my language!

I'm not sure why but I'm sure glad to see another one of your canes in progress... and another dragon at that. The very first thing that I looked at in your pictures was the grip because your past advise really opened my eyes as to the correct "feel", proper balance in placement of weight, and avoiding possible palm blisters by attaching the handle in the best way possible.

Looking at your pictures I imagined my own hand holding on to your handle and I must say that it really felt good! Good pistol grip notches for the lower fingers, nice open spacing under the dragon's mouth to complete a superb grip, and the attachment area is well centered (akin to a "T" grip) which should provide for a good distribution of weight. It's really looking good!

Thanks for sharing another cane experience!
        Dave Brock

Comment

Glad you like the handle Lightningbolt, it has a little smaller grip, in keeping with the lady's hand size, and the head and shaft will be lighter for ease of use. She's a collector and walker, so it will not be taking her full weight, just an aid . Don't want too many projections to catch on, or weaken the structure, but enough for effect.

Kathy, the head will be fitted to the shaft using a fairly thick hardwood dowel and good strong carpenters glue. Head and shaft will be drilled to accept it. Then the joint will be carved lightly to disguise it. I find the dowel joint, well glued, the strongest. Lots of detail surface carving to do, then burn the detail for accent and strength of depth of shadow, and finish with a couple of good soakings of oil finish, wiped dry after setting and then a couple of layers of paste wax, buffed with a shoe brush, or polished with a felt head.

Love carving them, so much satisfaction for so little time and effort. So many possibilities with dragons, each unique and different.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Wow are you kidding Bob she is going to love it remarkable carving. Umm looks like I saw him somewhere, I think it was in a forrest somewhere guarding some sticks. Ahhhhhhh I'm having flash backs all of a sudden I am getting this awful pain in my shoulder. All kidding aside I just love him great job as usual.
            ColinThumbs Up
            Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
            Jackson, MS

Comment

Bob, that is just awesome! She's going to love it!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Colin, I hope that shoulder is all healed up and better than ever!! Deborah

Comment

Awesome dragon!
                and, what a neat workspace! All those tools lined up neatly....
                Thor
                Steve

Comment

Yeah, that neat workspace really disgusts me. Disgusted because mine is sooo messy. I can clean it up and 10 minuts later, it seems, it's messy again. The dragon head is looking really neat. Thanks for showing it to us. (and your old disgusting neat workbench)Talking Red Face
                  Garon

Comment

Not to worry, the "workshop" is actually a background cloth I use for photographing the carvings. The two burr holders are to keep things organized. The shop is actually in dire need of a clean up, dust everywhere from power carving, and still no duct collection syatem, except the shopvac. Glad you like the cane head though.

Bob

Comment

Man Bob I love your dragon, really like the scales. I can't wait to see him finished!
                      GaryMc

Comment

A little more progress, worked on the scales today. Slow going but a definate improvement. Just get warmed up and have to stop and rest, frustrating. Oh well, thats life. Smile (Note the not so tidy anymore work desk)

Bob

Comment

Ya gotta love that dragon. It looks great Bob.

BTW, I've always heard that a clean shop is a sign of nothing better to do.

Comment

Wow! The handle came out great!
                            Wade

Comment

Bob,
                              The dragon is really looking good. What is really amazing is that you seem to think that work bench is untidy. Looks to me like you could move the tools and eat off it. I definetly do not want my wife to see any pictures of your workshop. I'd be cleaning until next spring and might not be done then.
                              Love the dragon though.
                              Keep the chips flyin'.
                              Garon

Comment

Working...
                              X