Dragon cane carved.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon cane carved.

Well, finished the carving part tonight, just the burning and finishing to complete. Little tidy up on the shaft and fit the tip, but I think it looks okay! Smile The Cherry is such a sweet wood to carve, even found the dog with her nose buried in the shavings from the shaft. Maybe she was a carver in another life!

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Re: Dragon cane carved.

That looks awesome so far...

Comment

I Like it! I have always wanted to try a dragon. How do you get one started? Do you just wing it or use some pictures for ideas?

Don

Comment

Nice job Bob the customer should really like him. Ahhh dragons give me an funny feeling in my shoulder. (indside joke)Sad
        Colin
        Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
        Jackson, MS

Comment

Thumbs Up Oh Bob, this would be a hard one to part with for sure. I love the dragon and as I mentioned before those two teeth make me smile. That cherry wood is a beautiful wood and your an A1 carver.
          Kathy

Comment

Poor Colin, you are probably going to have nightmares now that I've reminded you about your close call! Sad I hope the shoulder is back to normal?

Don, dragon carving is fun. The first thing you do is find a dragon! It is best to get close while they are sleeping, and visualize the eyes open, but if they awake, ...run like hell, or they will think you are there to steal their treasure! If that sounds risky, it is better than trying to catch them on the wing, for a big animal, they fly terribly fast, and sure as heck, wouldn't sit still for a portrait. You see , you are considered lunch to a dragon!!!

If that is still too risky, buy a book by Lori S Irish for ideas, or check out the web for photos. I got my last ideas from a cheap little novelty store (San Fransisco) that had all kinds of dragon figurenes, and use one for ideas.

Basically ....sketch it on to the board, cut the profile with a band saw and start carving. Get the basic head structure first, till you are happy with it, and then start detailing it.

Thanks for the nice comments folks and encouragement.

Bob
            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Aw don't let Bob scare you! Dragons are easy to catch! One of two ways, either you sneak up on them and real quick like pick them up by the tail.....or you just sprinkle a little salt on their tail! . . . . . err let us know how it works out! Sarcastic
              "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Obviously no one has seen the newest Harry Potter--the only way to get up close to a dragon is with your Firebolt 9,000 Broomstick <grin>

Bob

Comment

The best way I think to catch a dragon is to use good bait. What are you doing later Colin?

Comment

Good one, Ron!

I sold a kayak to our local Chief of Police. Before he bought, he wanted to try it, so I took him out to Depot Creek, which happens to be full of Aligators. Now, they won't bother you if you don't bother them, but this 6'5" 260# man has never been around them and is aprehensive to say the least.. Anyway we launch. When we're about 100 yards from the shore, I pull out a fly swatter. I say, "Jay, this works every time. If a gator comes up, you just hit him on the nose til he bleeds and he'll go away!" I wish I'd brought a camera! He did manage to get the kayak turned around without falling in though, very impressive! He bought the boat though!
                    Wade

Comment

That creek must be where you get de-pot eh?

Comment

Glorious!

Susan
                        Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
                        LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
                        CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

The finished product! Two coats of Danish Oil Finish, colour jumps out now. Will wax eventually.

Bob

Comment

Very nice!
                            Mike B

Comment

Thumbs Up Beautiful Bob!
                              Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X