fish eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fish eyes

4 options for eyes. concave, convex, painted, glass. well actually 5 options if you dont put an eye on at all.
    I dont paint the rest of the fish so I think a glass eye would be too much.
    but I am not happy with what I have done before. ideas?

these 2 fish are 32" long. first is cottonwood and 2nd is oak.
    First is a redfish. I have since concaved his eye then painted black. Not happy with it.
    next 3 are speckled trout. I convexed his eyes . not happy with it.

these dont have full back sides so they are not "taxidermy fodder" and will never be realistic.

Re: fish eyes

Deffinitely convex on the Redfish. Their eyes can protrude slightly.

Comment

How "literal" do you think it needs to be? I'm quite fond of shell, metal or stone for eyes.

Rock&Gem shops usually have small piles of shaped stones, cabochons I think they're called.
      I was amazed by the broad spectrum of colors available.

Piece of copper-clad printed circuit board. Scrub the Hello out of it with an abrasive cleaner like Comet or Ajax. Clear acrylic to protect the fresh metal from oxidation. Cut the sizes and shapes that you need. Dust control critical as most PC board has fiberglas backing.
      Copper rivets: chuck them in a drill and run them against a chalked up coarse file to get the shape and size I need.
      Brian T

Comment

I think your on the right track with the convex approach I just don't think you have the circumference edge deep enough. Nicely carved fish btw. Joe.

Comment

I keep looking at the fish, wondering if you need to do any more than you have done already.
          I have my ideas and methods for how I like to do eyes in my carvings. Offered as ideas.
          Possibly, you are done? Maybe some inspiration in a couple of years?
          Brian T

Comment

I think Josef has the right idea for you. Remember the eyes on a fish will bulge out of the head, especially the top. The bottom will set into the head a very little bit. The eyes will almost be vertical. So, if you will cut around the eye a little with a gouge or carefully with a knife and take some of the body away the eye will stand out a little. Cut a little off the bottom of the eye itself, that will make the top of the eye stand a little prouder off the body. I think there is a tutorial of eyes, especially natural finish ones at the following site. Welcome to the National Fish Carvers Guild (NFCG) which is the National Fish Carving Guild and it is a free site with mega information on it. I am about 99 % there is an article on eyes.

Good luck

Gene

Comment

Here is the URL for the eye info I mentioned earlier......

Gene

Comment

Personally, I think glass eyes wouldn't be esthetically appropriate on a stylized carving.
                It looks amazing right now, just as it is.
                I suspect the greatest handicap to anyone's art....is knowing when to say when.
                How many of us had that sinking feeling when we knew we continued carving and painting waaaay past the point the muse in our head said to stop?
                Again. Great job. Now slowly back away....farther....farther....
                Now begin another project!!
                Greg

Comment

Working...
                X