My first cypress knee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first cypress knee

I'm about to attempt my first cypress knee carving. I've read the Fox Chapel book by Carole Jean Boyd, so I think I can do it. Rather than carve a Father Christmas or robed woodspirit, I plan to do a bearded mountaineer with alpine hat and short pants. Here is a sketch and the wood I'm using: cypress knee, 7" x 20"

Re: My first cypress knee

Looks like you have a good plan. Looking forward to seeing it completed.
    Joe

Comment

Here's the first cuts on the cypress knee - the brow notch or the hat brim. This is very interesting wood to carve. The skin is fairly tough, but the pale wood underneath cuts nicely. I am using only hand tools - a knife and one gouge (#3-12mm). Proceeding slowly.

Comment

I love carving cypress knees. They are a unique wood to work with. The density of the wood can changes every few inches. Your tools have to be sharp. I have gone to my Foredom carving hand peace for most of my rough out on the cypress knees these days.

Comment

Continuing slow progress. Here's a photo of the present state, beginning to shape the face. This design will be different that many seen in books, etc. because the figure is not draped in long robes. I'm still using only hand tools and found that my crooked knife works really well. As stated by others, the tools have to be very sharp.

Comment

I can't wait to see the finished piece, I really like the idea and sketch. Thanks for sharing.
            www. woodcarvingsbyeric.com

Comment

Looks good to me very clean cuts I admire carvers that make clean cuts as they go.

Comment

I am interested in watching the progress of this carving as I have some knees I haven't started to work yet. Is this wood dry ? stringy ?
                Mimi

Comment

Phil, it looks like it's coming along really well. Your design is very unique and very nice.
                  Ron T.
                  http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

More than a month since the last post, but I'm making progress. I'm using the steps described by Carole Jean Boyd in Carving Cypress Knees (published by Fox Chapel) for carving the face, though not using power tools, but the rest is up to me.

Comment

More than a month delay this time! (been biking in Europe)
                      Here I've started shaping the arms which will come together in front of the figure, resting on the top of the ice axe (which is that long straight line in the middle). The figure will have a coiled rope over his right shoulder.

Comment

that will be a nice project,for my self i just bought a knee 3 weeks ago,and like you,it will be a first,so please post your working progress and comment,you will be my coach,lolll,good luck,when i start mine ,i will post my progress as well,have a great day,daniel

Comment

I look forward to seeing your progress, Daniel, on your first cypress knee. My progress is pretty slow due to other activities taking priority - you know, home repairs, car maintenance, yard work, etc. But I will post the progress as it occurs. Phil

Comment

I decided the face and head were too large for the body, so I started making them smaller. There is a lot of work to do on the eyes and the hat. The long straight thing in the front of the figure is an ice axe on which he is resting both hands. The rope over his shoulder will go over (or under) his pack in the back.

Comment

It's coming along great, Phil! Thanks for all the WIP pics!
                              Keep On Carvin'
                              Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Working...
                              X