new bark Carving!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new bark Carving!

Well I did another bark carving, this is a peice of bark I picked up out of the Tennesse river,( tree was laying down in the river bead, water is down ofr winter). I didn't know we had any bark here and I don' know what kind of tree it is, but I got a bunch of the bark. The only problem is that the thickest bark on the tree is probably only 1- 1/2" thick. Also it seem a whole lot harder on the surface than the peices I have from South Dakota. Anyway The face is not that good but I enjoyed doing it and my wife loves it. I am going to add some more carving to the peice, mabye a tree and something else later.
    Thanks for looking and commenting!
    GaryMc

Re: new bark Carving!

Gary,
    I dont know where you dont think that is a nice carving I think it is excellent. Looking at the bark it looks to me like willow bark. Willow has that nice grain in it and that sure looks like willow. I like to carve willow but it is a bit flaky and seperates sometimes. Funny I have just finished a similar carving in Balsum Poplar bark about the same thickness. I will post it later.
    Colin
    Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
    Jackson, MS

Comment

Very most excellent! I really like bark carvings and you did an excellent job on this one.

Comment

Hello and thanks for the replies.
        Collin: Hm... if that is a willow it's a very big one. the tree is probaly 70-80' tall and about 36" in diameter. Also, it doesnt show in the pictures but it has alternating bands of lighter and darker seams as I carved deeper into the bark, not one color like the Cottonwood bark I have seen. Does Willow bark have that?
        GaryMc

Comment

Yes Gary willow bark can be like that and willow grows very fast a 36 inch tree is a small tree for willow in this neck of the woods I have seen them 48 and even 60 inches.
          Colin
          Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
          Jackson, MS

Comment

Looks great to me Gary. If'n ya don't want it, send it my way!LOL

Love the coloring!

Comment

Gary
              Very nice carving. What is the size on that one?
              Sure looks like Cottonwood bark to me.
              art

Comment

Hello Art,
                The peice is 28" long x 3" wide x 1-1/2" thick. There is Cottonwood here in Alabama, I wish I knew for sure what kind of bard this is. I also found a peice of bark driftwood that looks different than this one. I havent started to carve it yet though. Some day I need to get some real bark from you, when I get some money,hehe.
                I am putting a link to 2 pictures here, one the full peice of the bark Santa, and also the other peice of bark driftwood I found. take a look at them art and tell me what you think.
                GaryMc Talking

Comment

GaryMc, that's a great Santa bark carving, thanks for sharing him with us! Bark sure is interesting to work with, isn't it, so different from basswood! If you ever do buy some, Art is certainly the man to buy it from! Deborah

Comment

Thank you Callyanne!
                    I have discovered it ans I love it. I porbably will buy some from Art, soon I hope!
                    GaryMc Talking

Comment

Thumbs Up Hey Gary, wow no telling how old this wood might be? Was the wood totally dry when you started carving? (beginner question).
                      I really like your work on this wonderful santa only if I could do as well. Great eyes!
                      Kathy

Comment

Gary,
                        Your box is on its way by usps (post office) I usually do UPS.......
                        hope ya like it...You will notice I love carving ornaments with the bark. I am trying to scheme up some sort of challenge doing them from the small pieces. want to help? seeing your photos tells me you'd be a real good candidate.

Kathy, cottonwood bark should be very dry when you carve it.The wood is easier to carve while green.
                        art

Comment

Excellent face! I really like the contrast of the bark with the white beard too. That must have taken some patience to get the paint on there so evenly and exactly.
                          Great job.
                          Thor
                          Steve

Comment

All those bark carvings are amazing! I've tried carving it several times and must admit, I HATE the stuff. Maybe the only one in the world that doesn't like it, but I can't seem to get it do anything I want it to. The only material I've had more trouble carving is balsa. It just seems too soft, cuts go too deep and, well heck, if YOU like the stuff....... great! And I really do admire the bark carvings that get posted, and the patience of those who do such neat work with the onrey stuff.

Al

Comment

Hello and thanks for the comments!

Mottles: The tree looks like it has been laying there in the river bed for some time, all the bark is loose and some of it is almost mouldy on the back. I am going to get some more before the winter is over.

Art: Thanks you I can't wait! I am very interested in your idea about the ormnaments. Let's do it!

Thor: The painting of the beard was fairly easy, I just took some white acrylic paint and made it very thin with acrylic extender, and went over the beard and hair several times with a small brush. Ta-da!

Al: Man it's not that bad, the hardest part is getting down to the carving part. I am just to carving the hard woods like sycamore, holley, oak, walnut ect and I use paring cuts alot in that, and use a knife alot. So I find bark very easy since I use a style that does not remove a lot of wood at a time. the drawback is however, I am too Slow! I gotta get my speed up once I get where I like the faces I am carving.

Thanks Again!
                              GaryMc

Comment

Working...
                              X