X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied
    Re: new bark Carving!

you get a report on views in picturetrail as well, what I didn't like about webshots or any of them that are free is the junk/spam/popups etc.........just my opinion besides the picture trail is so simple....even I could understand/figure it out ha ha!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I use another site for posting pictures.....WebShots . It's free, you can put in as many photos and albums as you want, and they give you a weekly update of how many "hits" your site has had. You can also download a lot of photos for your desk top for free.

Drawback? Only one that I can see...that is that you have no control over other people downloading your photos. This is not a problem for me, as I don't put anything on there that is copyrighted by others or that I will mind being downloaded.

For 20 bucks, that Picture Trail site that Dave mentioned has a control for limiting or denying downloads. (I think)

Check 'em both out and see what you think. There may well be some others out there, too.

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=alarchie1&start=20

Leave a comment:

• Hugh
    replied

That opps forgot, sounds like the man that put PS on the bottom of his letter to his son. the PS said "Sorry son, I sealed the letter before I remembered to put in the cheque."

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

You probably noticed my "picturetrail" signature at the bottom of my posts.....costs 20.00 a year and you can post many many pictures in albums etc.....worth looking into, and you don't have to build or mess with a website.....being computer challenged, a website appears to me to be another headache ha ha!Happy oops forgot, if you want info go to www.picturetrail.com

Leave a comment:

• Mark N. Akers
    replied

Dave:
    No I don't have a web site yet,but I am giving it some consideration.Being very
    new to the computer world I don't know what you mean when you say picture
    trail,please explain what it is?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Art, thanks, but I think I'll pass.......I'll just admire the work others do in bark and not try to embarass myself any more than I already have.

Al

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

Mark I am impressed with your carvings and would like to see more, do you have a site or a picture trail or ?? thanks Dave Oh and by the way, Art Olver has some fantastic carvings in bark....as good as I have seen anywhere!

Leave a comment:

• Mark N. Akers
    replied

Great job Gary,I hate to admit it,but it's been a while since i've worked in bark.
    But I had a repeat customer stop by today and order a Indian done in bark,so
    tomorrow at about 6o am I'll be firing up the heat in the shop and going
    through my bark pile.And if the package from Art is bark you'll be very pleased
    he has sent me some fantastic pieces.

Leave a comment:

• artolver
    replied

Gary, I find bark out here like that also. I like to process stuff like that, with my joiner (front and back). You can see how beautiful it is. Most of what I do bring home is not that tuff, I can cut right into it with my roughing knife or gouge. you'll see.
    Al, I think I could find some that you might like ...?
    cottonwood bark can be found very soft to hard as a brick, all depending on environment
    art

Leave a comment:

• Don by the lake
    replied

Hey Gary. Nice job!

Leave a comment:

• GaryMc
    replied

Hello and thanks for the comments!

Mottles: The tree looks like it has been laying there in the river bed for some time, all the bark is loose and some of it is almost mouldy on the back. I am going to get some more before the winter is over.

Art: Thanks you I can't wait! I am very interested in your idea about the ormnaments. Let's do it!

Thor: The painting of the beard was fairly easy, I just took some white acrylic paint and made it very thin with acrylic extender, and went over the beard and hair several times with a small brush. Ta-da!

Al: Man it's not that bad, the hardest part is getting down to the carving part. I am just to carving the hard woods like sycamore, holley, oak, walnut ect and I use paring cuts alot in that, and use a knife alot. So I find bark very easy since I use a style that does not remove a lot of wood at a time. the drawback is however, I am too Slow! I gotta get my speed up once I get where I like the faces I am carving.

Thanks Again!
    GaryMc

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

All those bark carvings are amazing! I've tried carving it several times and must admit, I HATE the stuff. Maybe the only one in the world that doesn't like it, but I can't seem to get it do anything I want it to. The only material I've had more trouble carving is balsa. It just seems too soft, cuts go too deep and, well heck, if YOU like the stuff....... great! And I really do admire the bark carvings that get posted, and the patience of those who do such neat work with the onrey stuff.

Al

Leave a comment:

• Thor
    replied

Excellent face! I really like the contrast of the bark with the white beard too. That must have taken some patience to get the paint on there so evenly and exactly.
    Great job.
    Thor

Leave a comment:

• artolver
    replied

Gary,
    Your box is on its way by usps (post office) I usually do UPS.......
    hope ya like it...You will notice I love carving ornaments with the bark. I am trying to scheme up some sort of challenge doing them from the small pieces. want to help? seeing your photos tells me you'd be a real good candidate.

Kathy, cottonwood bark should be very dry when you carve it.The wood is easier to carve while green.
    art

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Thumbs Up Hey Gary, wow no telling how old this wood might be? Was the wood totally dry when you started carving? (beginner question).
    I really like your work on this wonderful santa only if I could do as well. Great eyes!
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X