Odyssey project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odyssey project

I haven't posted in awhile as this project has taken almost three months to complete both stumps.

This was a project at a local alternative school. The school had cut down 2 hickory trees and left the stumps at 9’ tall. I made a proposal to incorporate the carving of the two trees into the art class for the high school students. The students would design the carvings, create clay models and then help with the carving. The entire school community voted on the designs they liked the best and those two were then to be carved in the stumps.

This is the first one to be done. I basically roughed everything out with chainsaws and grinders. The students then helped to carve the details in like the hand, eyes etc. Then the entire piece was sanded and finished. It was quite an experience for us all. There were 10 students and that was definitely more of a challenge for me to work with than the hickory.

The entire process can be seen on my blog if you are interested.

Stave
    www.stromcarver.com

Re: Odyssey project

That's great! I'm looking forward to seeing the next one. How did the kids react to doing the project? I know from experience that it can be hard to keep them on task!

Comment

What a cool project. I'm sure that you have had a great influence on those students. Very nice work.
      Brandant Robinson
      Woodcarving Blog - www.theoldstump.blogspot.com
      Custom Folding Knives - https://www.therobinsonedge.com/
      Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/brandant.robinson.1

Comment

that is a really great looking project .. the look is wonderful
        Gene

Comment

Very nicely done Stave!

Comment

Must admit the students were tough to deal with until the actual carving started. I think once they saw things taking shape their enthusiasm took hold. Once they started carving there were a couple that did not want to stop.

I do hope they got something out of it....I know I learned a tremendous amount!

Stave

Comment

Very nice, a great project for the students to work on.

Comment

Nice design, and it turned out very nice.
                Joe

Comment

Working...
                X