X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donsexton
    replied
    Re: Latest Venture

I like the carving and if it was mine I would not texture or repaint it. But if you must Goof-Off will take the paint away and if I had to have texture as fine as you want I would apply gesso and texture it with a stiff finn brush then paint over the textured gesso

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied

Dwight..... Great work my friend! I'm with Pallin. Leave it as is. It's never going to be as good as the first time you finish it.
    With that said the next time you might thinning down your paints a bit. That may help some. It appears that your brown may have been thinned down but your white looks heavy. Of course, I'm not one to give advice on relistic carvings because anytime I try to make something look real it comes out looking cartoonish anyway.

Leave a comment:

• llc1952
    replied

Your deer is lovely. I sometimes use a Dremel with a diamond grit small thin circle bit. I sometimes wear out making fine hair with a tiny v-tool. Micro tools do a great job, but it is very time consuming.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight
    replied

Thank you all for your replys and kind words. ~ Dwight

Leave a comment:

• GinnytooU
    replied

Looks really good. You did a wonderful , Ginny

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied

I also think it turned out pretty good! Save the improvements for the next one you carve! You might try using a stylus or an awl to lightly texture a piece of wood for finer hair; it all depends on what would be in scale with a piece. I found even the finest gouges or v-tools were too coarse for some things, but a small ball stylus from the hobby store worked for me. They're used for texturing foil and other thin metals.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

I would suggest that you wait a while before removing the paint. Often we see many flaws in our work when we have just finished an intense time focused on the details. Many of those will disappear or become less important with time. It is an excellent carving in my opinion!

Leave a comment:

• Dwight
    started a topic Latest Venture

Latest Venture

Here is my latest venture... I thought I would try and do a white tailed deer jumping over a log. Please do not ask for the pattern... there isn't one it came out of my head. She is 5.5 x 6 the log I made as well. Forgive the images I am not a photographer. I feel I need to either touch up the paint or remove it and start again. Does anyone know the best way to remove acrylic paint? Also does anyone know how to make fine hair on an animal like a dear, I know that a bear has coarser hair that you would make with a small v tool? Well, I hope she meets with everyone's approval.

Thanks ~ Dwight
Working...
X