Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna make a Humpback Whale flute

Hi Everyone,
    I finished making a Reticulated Python flute and a sperm whale flute, with a giant squid block for a customer (I'll attach some pics.)
    These things were HUGE for a flute!
    Now I'm gonna make one for me; a Humpback Whale flute. It'll be a 1 3/4" bore flute just like the ones in the pictures.
    If anyone's interested, I'll show a progression of how it's progressing.
    I did some research and found some suitable images that I'll use for a template, for a top view and a profile view.
    Greg

Re: Gonna make a Humpback Whale flute

Those are really nice! my goodness the bit you must have to boar down into the flutes must be huge!!! would love to see progression on the next.

Comment

People in Scotland play some sort of octopus-looking flute thing.
      They walk around with the beast tucked under one arm.

The Humpback whale flute. . . . . any chance of whale-song?
      Brian T

Comment

Those are some huge flutes Greg. Should have a nice low voice.

Tom
        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Hey guys.
          Yeah, it's a huge bit; 1 3/4" core box.
          I have two Shopsmiths.
          I had to put them end to end and reverse the motor and table slide position on one of them to be able to put these guys on the lathe, because the flute's so long.
          It's a pain in the butt, but it's worth it. I didn't record anything on the others, but I will on this one so you can hear what it sounds like. Pretty deep voice.

Thus far, I've shaped and sanded the head and 2/3 of the body as it joins the flute.
          I'm considering now, what to do with the tail.
          Greg

Comment

Those are some big beautiful flutes! I was wondering how you were able to hollow those bad boys out. I can't wait to see (and hear) it.

Comment

Thanks Wayne,
              I routed two boards 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 with a 1 3/4" core box bit, and glued the two halves together; then I rounded it on a lathe.
              Greg

Comment

Great design and execution! Are you tuning them Greg? The only success Ive had with instruments at that size has been with overtone flutes. Is there a working overblow?

Comment

Thanks.
                  The big bores get two notes above the octave, and the sound is clear and distinct without the usual airiness associated with the bigger bores.
                  I'm pretty pleased with them thus far.
                  I'll post some pictures shortly, of the progress with the humpback whale.
                  Greg

Comment

I just posted five photos of the starting progress of the whale on the end of the flute. The captions explain the process.
                    Greg

Comment

More pictures and process.
                      I'll post pictures tomorrow of the whale after it's been painted.

Comment

Holy cow Greg, I can't wait to see this painted. It is going to be stunning.

Tom
                        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

I painted a base of white on the whale body, followed by blue/grey, with more blue added. I intend to lighten it back to more greys in successive stages.
                          I just painted blue and green stripes followed by a blue/green wash that I sanded down with fine steel wool.
                          This paint job is far from finished, but this is as far as I've gotten thus far.

By the way; I used Apoxie-Sculpt to help fit in the fins, tail, eyes, and blow hole to make a smoother transition to the body.
                          If I were to make another Humpback whale like this, in the same proportions, I'd allow more room for more wood to begin with at the places I used the putty.
                          Just sayin'.
                          Greg

Comment

Thank for your confidence Tom.
                            Greg

Comment

This a looking so good Greg. I really like how you brought the tail out of the flute, plus all of the rest.

Tom

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Working...
                              X