Gonna make a Humpback Whale flute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gonna make a Humpback Whale flute

There are few flute carvers to compare to your expertise Greg. You are in a field of your own. Superb!

Comment

Thank you Josef.
      Greg

Comment

All the right pieces in all the right places, the paint is great. For me, if it's a flute at all, is sort of after the fact! The hematite was a good choice for the eyes.
        Brian T

Comment

Here's more pictures of the progress so far.
          I've amended the paint on the body to emulate bubbles and swirls of movement through water.
          H1 shows the scale of this flute in comparison to a few of my other carved flutes.
          H2 and H3 shows the added whale I made breaching between the roost and the top playing hole.
          Next, I'm going to make some casting resin water splashes around the breaching whale, and add some surface glimmer to the paint on top of the bore.
          I'm thinking I'll carve a tail fluke on top of the block, with water dripping from it. Dunno though......this thing's already over the top, and it may be one thing too many.

Greg

Comment

I like it... I like the way you painted it as well as made the bumps and eyes holes. Looks very real when finished.
            ~ Dwight
            "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

I.m lovin this Greg. Thanks for showing the progress.

Tom
              If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Nearly finished with this project.
                I've added a water splash and dipped it in the tank.
                All I need to do now is make a block. I'm in a quandary whether to make it simple or put a tail on it. It's so far over the op now, I don't think a tail or a unicorn horn will matter.
                Soooo.......while I'm puzzling over this, I began making a fire breathing dragon flute.
                It's a 1 1/4" bore flute in the key of Dm.
                I put a wooden tube on the belly of this thing, that gives me a blowhole beneath the blowhole of the flute, like a vertical drone.
                When it's finished (I put in the teeth and jaws and preparing a funnel type tongue), I'll pour lycopodium powder into the tongue, and then blow it out from the mouthpiece over a candle, and it looks like a flamethrower!!
                I'll try and take more pics of the whale tomorrow.
                Greg

Comment

Your whale flute turned out awesome Greg! It is most definitely over the top! I love all the detail you put into it. The dragon flute you mentioned also sounds very cool. Especially the flame breathing part.

Comment

Thanks Wayne.
                    I'll post some pics of the whale as it's finished,and then some of the dragon's progress.
                    I made an earlier version of a dragon flute that shot fireballs through each nostril (glow plug/brass tube/flash cotton/flash paper) and a tube with powder in its throat.
                    This way, if my playing sucks, I'll be able to distract with fire!!.
                    Greg

Comment

Working...
                    X