Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Ornament

Hi Gang!

Truthful & honest opinions needed. Image #1 in this combined pic, is the way i've always whittled these santa ornaments {over 150 thus far!}, image #2 is a drastic change i've decided to try, using just slit pockets for the eyes instead of mounds with grooves in them. {NOTE: other areas on #2 are not done yet} Which way do YOU think looks best?? Thanks

Re: Santa Ornament

They both look good, however I prefer the mounded eyes.
    Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Magicman View Post
      They both look good, however I prefer the mounded eyes.
      Larry
      Thanks Larry. Appreciate your input very much. I'm curious about your nickname "Magicman". You a fellow magician?? I've been into it since a kid. {First show, July 4th, 1975}. Not performing at this time, more into the history, from Harry Blackstone Jr & Doug Henning back to vaudeville, etc.

Feel free to Facebook friend me by typing bill.smith.magic into the Facebook engine. Thanks again.

Comment

It is not as easy to see in the picture but I believe I like the slit eye best.

Comment

I think you'd improve both examples by having the mustache curve downward vs. up.

Comment

Hi Will
            I was a Magician for over 30 years, I stopped performing about 8 years ago. I worked the School Circuit, Holiday Inn Lounges, Birthday Parties and Company Christmas Parties mostly. I belonged to the Louisville Magic Club in which Lance Burton is an Honerary Member, I've known him since he was about 11 years old.I have been in 4 or 5 shows with him. I just got too old to carry it all around.
            Larry

Comment

I think you want to go with the mounds and slits...that's how I do mine. That way it shows that there are eye lids.
              Keep On Carvin'
              Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Agree. Excellent details. This will be one great Santa when the painting’s done.

Comment

Thank you all so very much for your kind input. MUCHO appreciated!! Haven't gotten back to it, but have a couple days off coming up the end of next week, so hope to finish it then. I'll upload a picture when i do. Thanks again my friends & happy whittlin' .

www.facebook.com/bill.smith.magic

Comment

ya know basically its up tot he artist. carve what you feel is appropiate if others lik/dont like its up to them. You wont please everyone an the slits do work so feel comfortable with the change.

Comment

To echo rickm, which way do YOU prefer? Depends on a number of factors. Are you trying to "crank" out a bunch of them, or doing them for enjoyment? If it's for enjoyjment etc. does the time matter? If you're in "production" mode, the answer may be different as return can be a function of time. Example, if you spend 4 hours on a piece that you intend to sell for $2.00, it's not really worht your time UNLESS it's something you'd be doing anyway. Each carving you create is an expression of your view of the world. Sorry for the long post, and waxing philosophical. . .
                      Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!

Comment

I prefer the smiling eyes version (aka Irish eyes: mounded eyes) of your first version. The second version of eyes looks like a man standing in the shadows, not the stereotypical happy Santa.

Comment

Working...
                        X