Traveling Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling Man

I sure would appreciate your opinion ,Should I paint or stain. I'm really proud of this piece and don't wont to mess it up. Traveling Cowboy is 11 inches tall out of bass wood Head, arms and suitcase done separately. I think this is my best piece. Tell me what you think good and bad. I'm a big girl and can take it. Need to buy a base to put him on. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.Ginny

Re: Traveling Man

Great job on the carving! Like the added horseshoe and his suitcase! Hmmm, guess I might think to paint, but maybe the others ideas like Tom, or Lynn would know better!!

Dorothy & Art

Comment

Ginny Great job!!! how about a little of both?? paint and stain? I would paint some of the main things, like hat, scarff and then maybe stain every?? I don't know but thats what I first thought when I looked at it

Comment

I like him Ginny! Good job on the natural stance.
        I would paint, but I always paint my carvings, I haven;t had real great success using stain on basswood, even using a sealer it still comes out a blotchy finish.

About the base, you said buy one? why not make the base? I use commonly found 3/4 red oak or poplar, draw the horseshoe profile on the hard wood you select, cut it out and sand, then finish.

Comment

Fantastic job Ginny, your carving is really getting great. When carving basswood I prefer painting.

Comment

Hi Ginny, WOW!!!! That is a Fantastic carving and I do agree with you, it is your best so far. That isn't a surprise to me though, I think each piece you keepe getting better. On painting I would Paint him, using a thin Acrylic Wash on all the colors. Merle

Comment

Ginny - That is an EXCELLENT carving! Basswood doesn't usually take stain very well. I would paint. My painting improved when I started using Minwax wood finish (Natural with a little burnt sienna oil paint mixed in thinner then mixed with the Minwax) as a prep. before painting. I don't let it dry - just sit for a couple of minutes then start painting with very thin acrylic paint.
              Your progress is astounding in a short time.

Keith

Comment

My word.....I am really taken back by the level of competence in this carving. I remember when you first joined the forum (and it seems like just a few weeks ago)...to think how far you have come. i sure don't progress at anything like the rate at which you improve....you must have gotten a triple dose of wood carving talent when they handed out skill. I agree with Quadra...stain looks really nice, but the only time I ever tried to stain basswood, the contrast between end grain and straight grain looked horrible and I had a real mess on my hands. Maybe stain the hat and suitcase, paint the rest? Congrats on a great carving.

Comment

My vote goes for paint. I have had some real mixed results with stain on basswood. Your cowboy is fantastic!! The detail is wonderful.

Comment

Thank you all for your opinions, I appreciate it very much.I am leaning towards painting as most of you suggested. About the base. I don't have a router so I have to buy my bases. ( Routers scare me).So off to Hobby Lobby or Michaels tomorrow. Thanks again it means a lot to me. Ginny

Comment

Originally posted by GinnytooU View Post
                      Thank you all for your opinions, I appreciate it very much.I am leaning towards painting as most of you suggested. About the base. I don't have a router so I have to buy my bases. ( Routers scare me).So off to Hobby Lobby or Michaels tomorrow. Thanks again it means a lot to me. Ginny
                      Ginny

I dont have a router either, I cut the shape on my bandsaw, and give it a good sanding.

Comment

Because this piece is something special to me I want to put a special base on it. One with a routed edge. I wonder if a trophy house would sale me one? I may check into that. Thanks Ginny

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Sam

Comment

Holy Cow Ginny!!!! This little guy is amazing. Just don't use too much paint, and I know you will do a great job.

Love him, Tom
                            If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Fantastic Ginny! Like most others have said; I'd go with acrylic washes and save the stain for the base. You certainly have progressed well for the time that you have been carving.
                              Wayne
                              If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Working...
                              X