Traveling Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Traveling Man

Wonderful work Ginny. I believe your best yet and you have a right to be proud of it. I believe the majority have recommended painting and I sort of agree. But if you want a natural finish you might try antique oil finish instead of stain. I just did a piece with that and like the result.

Oh, and if you aren't sure about a finish don't try it on your best piece first.
    Joe

Comment

Thanks Joe, I'm going to paint . I appreciate your comment. Ginny

Comment

Wow Ginny...amazing!!! Definitely your best so far! Painting would really bring out the detail...just take your time with it. That's really a great piece...Where did you get the pattern?
        Keep On Carvin'
        Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Thanks Bob K. Ginny

Comment

Ginny,

You should be extremely proud of the work that you did on this one. I hope that I can some day do something as nice. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Ginny,

That looks fantastic.

My vote is to paint it. You wont regret it.

I went without painting my first few carvings for peronal fear of "screwing them up".

Once I painted the first one, my confidence grew and I havent looked back. Unless, of course, a customer requests it.

Again, fantastic job and I LOVE that orseshoe base.

Comment

Ginny I vote for painting also-- and a really fine job on the carving!!!!!
                Have A Great Day
                Terry
                Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Ginny I did mean to say basswood. My bad. Question. When doing carvings with separate body parts, ie separate head and arms, how do you go by lacking them fit properly and how do you join them?

Comment

I am late in spotting this post, but just wanted to say hoorah, he looks great! I wish I were near by, I would show you how to use the router on your bases. I am a big scared E cat... with some power tools, but routing bases can be done pretty simply if you know what you are doing. Good luck with the painting.

Comment

Really nice work!

As far as a base, I'm not sure you want an ogee-shaped edge to distract from your work. You might even be able to make a beveled edge with your knife and some sandpaper--at least that way you could use your woodcarving smarts to avoid "tear out" that you might get from a rasp, or router, if you aren't on good terms with one. Scrap wood is cheap enough too. It seems you have little to lose by trying. And then there is the finishing? Just another project, huh? Maybe that trophy-shop guy could do something for you after all? I would just use a simple block with a very light finish.
                      Of course, you may not want to put a horseshoe on a rectangular block. Why does everything turn into a big project? : )

Cheers,
                      Bill

Comment

I must say I am over whelmed by all the nice comments I have received on this piece. I never in my wildness days dreamed that I could do something like this and to have so many people like it. You all have touched my heart deeply. Thank you and God Bless, Ginny

Comment

Beautiful carving Ginny,

It looks like you enjoyed doing the detail on this one, it's amazing how much difference it makes in a carving when we take that extra time to remove those micro chips.

Great Art !

Bill
                          ^v^

Comment

Thanks Art, Glad you like him. Ginny

Comment

I'm late to the party. But, this is a wonderful carving!! I'm awaiting the finished version, what ever you choose.

Comment

Thank you so very much. Paint it is. I'm going to start painting it tomorrow. Hope I don't mess it up. Glad you like him, Thanks Ginny

Comment

Working...
                                X