X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simplyme
    replied
    Re: Traveling Man

Little late also, but had to comment on this amzing carving. There is no stopping you. As far as painting.....I usually debate this a lot because ny carving might not be great but there better then my painting. LOL Great piece.

Leave a comment:

• Ross1
    replied

I cannot contribute to stain or paint, but mentioning that your carving is inspiring to me is something easily done.
    Thanks for showing your talent.

Leave a comment:

• Whittled Thumb
    replied

I don't like to stain basswood. Doesn't take well IMO. I'd paint him because its such a great piece the color would bring it out!

Leave a comment:

• GinnytooU
    replied

Thank you so very much, I'm glad you like him. Hope I can paint him as well as I carved him. I don't like the painting part. Will post when done. Thanks again Ginny

Leave a comment:

• whittles by whitt
    replied

W-O-W!!!!! Ginny, that is WONDERFUL!!!! & i don't think you will ever find a base more suitable than that horseshoe!! Fits him perfectly just as is! LOVE IT!! Don't know if you cut the wood out to fit inside the shoe or not, but love that base, & like i said, wonderful job on that ol' cowboy!!

Leave a comment:

• draft51@aol.com
    replied

I missed this one entirerly Ginny, what a great carving. Whatever way you finish this piece , I'm sure it will turnout a masterpiece. fred k

Leave a comment:

• Ironman50
    replied

Where is he off this time? I like him a lot! Excellent carving!

Leave a comment:

• GinnytooU
    replied

Thank you so very much. Paint it is. I'm going to start painting it tomorrow. Hope I don't mess it up. Glad you like him, Thanks Ginny

Leave a comment:

• Valkiera
    replied

I'm late to the party. But, this is a wonderful carving!! I'm awaiting the finished version, what ever you choose.

Leave a comment:

• GinnytooU
    replied

Thanks Art, Glad you like him. Ginny

Leave a comment:

• William
    replied

Beautiful carving Ginny,

It looks like you enjoyed doing the detail on this one, it's amazing how much difference it makes in a carving when we take that extra time to remove those micro chips.

Great Art !

Bill
    ^v^

Leave a comment:

• GinnytooU
    replied

I must say I am over whelmed by all the nice comments I have received on this piece. I never in my wildness days dreamed that I could do something like this and to have so many people like it. You all have touched my heart deeply. Thank you and God Bless, Ginny

Leave a comment:

• Bill Whig
    replied

Really nice work!

As far as a base, I'm not sure you want an ogee-shaped edge to distract from your work. You might even be able to make a beveled edge with your knife and some sandpaper--at least that way you could use your woodcarving smarts to avoid "tear out" that you might get from a rasp, or router, if you aren't on good terms with one. Scrap wood is cheap enough too. It seems you have little to lose by trying. And then there is the finishing? Just another project, huh? Maybe that trophy-shop guy could do something for you after all? I would just use a simple block with a very light finish.
    Of course, you may not want to put a horseshoe on a rectangular block. Why does everything turn into a big project? : )

Cheers,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• toycarver
    replied

I am late in spotting this post, but just wanted to say hoorah, he looks great! I wish I were near by, I would show you how to use the router on your bases. I am a big scared E cat... with some power tools, but routing bases can be done pretty simply if you know what you are doing. Good luck with the painting.

Leave a comment:

• thatjellyfish
    replied

Ginny I did mean to say basswood. My bad. Question. When doing carvings with separate body parts, ie separate head and arms, how do you go by lacking them fit properly and how do you join them?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X