Yet another Carousel Horse is finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Carousel Horse is finished

Carousel Horse, in Sycamore. based on CW Parkers American Beauty rose from Jerry Reinharts Carving miniature Carousel Animals. A bit of a challange with this one, but a good challange.

Re: Yet another Carousel Horse is finished

Very Nice!

Mark

Comment

I like it, too. Is that sycamore hard to carve?
      Michael

Comment

I am impressed with the extreme smoothness of the carving. That takes either fantastic blade control or a lot of time smoothing and sanding, or both. Either way, you did a great job on the finish of the wood..that takes dedication and talent.

Comment

that is really neat, the Sycamore grain gives a really cool effect

Comment

Looks great, very nice job.

Comment

Thank you for the kind words. I found the Sycamore challanging to say the least. The way the grain of the wood works makes it a challange to keep focused on the cuts. I do use knives and gouges (flexcut tools that I made my own handles for) exclusively and yes I did sand to 320 grit. I love the way that grain of sycamore works, producing the texture. I also liked the way the hardness of the wood made for strong legs and tail.

Comment

Sycamore is beautiful stuff, and you did a great job showing it off with this carving.

To Michael (cut up): Sycamore is not terribly difficult to carve. I've carved several pieces from it with a knife. Not bad at all. And the grain is just beautiful.

Sycamore is about 30% more dense than basswood, so it'll be a bit harder to carve. But well worth the effort. See #19: Sycamore | The Hundred Birds Project for an example.

Comment

Working...
                X