Tree History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree History

Never imagined that I'd be happy with knot-infested logs.
    This is a substantial departure for me, into the real unknown!

The career of the Italian sculptor Guiseppe Penone spans more than 40 years.
    While I don't have his philosophical motivation, I'm curious enough to want to experience a little of the process, whether I finish it well or not. Having NO CLUE, I've already learned a lot about the technical process, including finding out when and where to stop.

There are tens of thousands of log pieces like these in harvesting debris piles everywhere. Useless as a saw log and useless to the public cutting firewood.

The first log is a filthy dirty pine (Pinus contorta) log with lots of oozing, dripping pitch pockets. 6" tapers 67" to 4". I'm into it more than 1" in places. I decided to carve it in the round but leave some of the original log surface at each end.

The second log is (probably) Hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla), a signature species with western red cedar for this biogeoclimatic zone. With more branches on one side, I'll carve that half and leave the mechanically smashed up half for the back. I've snapped some blue chalk lines with the plan to cut maybe 2" down into the log to begin with. From 7" it tapers 68" to 6"
    Just brought it in after days of rain and snow, will let it dry off a bit
    Brian T
Working...
X