Relief with watch inset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relief with watch inset

I invite you to consider this project at the concept stage. This relief will be an indoor scene that includes a grandfather clock. The clock face will be the face of an old watch I inherited from my grandfather. There will be a "cavity" in the back of the carving to fit the watch and something to hold the watch in place. (I had made a miniature grandfather clock for this watch when I was much younger, but it is now lost.)

The clock will be angled slightly from the surface of the carving. To one side will be other objects in the room and a window. Beyond the window will be a pastoral scene with mountains in the distance. The relief frame will be carved as part of the relief. The basswood blank is 1-1/4" x 12" x 15"

Suggestions? I will share progress photos as this proceeds.

Relief with watch inset

It looks like a great project. And just fine the way you outlined it. I like the idea of a pocket watch being part of the carving. I look forward to seeing pictures as you progress.

Rod
    Rodster
    https://rodster.ca

Comment

Re: Relief with watch inset

Great idea.
      will you be doing something to have contrast between the floor and wall? maybe texture or pattern? The base board separates the two planes but might need more.

This would be way to tough for me! Will like to see your progress.
      Greg
      Greg

Comment

Yes, Greg, the floor may have some texture, a rug, or a sleeping dog. I'm concerned about the ceiling too. Maybe the window should be closer and higher, so more of the outdoor scene shows, and the ceiling is eliminated?

This relief may call for a different sequence. The deepest level (outside the window) would often be carved first. But in this case, the angle of the clock and the placement of the watch are critical.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
          Yes, Greg, the floor may have some texture, a rug, or a sleeping dog. I'm concerned about the ceiling too. Maybe the window should be closer and higher, so more of the outdoor scene shows, and the ceiling is eliminated?

This relief may call for a different sequence. The deepest level (outside the window) would often be carved first. But in this case, the angle of the clock and the placement of the watch are critical.
          I like the idea of loosing the ceiling. I think it may make the viewer feel like like he's standing in the room rather than floating outside looking in.
          Greg
          Greg

Comment

Even though I haven't settled on the final design details, I decided to begin the placement of the watch. It will be angled 5 deg. toward the middle. The 1st photo shows the 2" hole saw cutting into the back side at that angle. Since the watch face is only 1-7/8 inches, I made a smaller hole in the front side. It will be carved to final fit. The 2nd photo shows the front side after the holes were bored. The face of the clock is angled to be square with the watch face. The 3rd photo shows the beginnings of this process. Of course the entire clock will be angled - the finial, pendulum case and base - but I only want to fit the watch at this time. The square area around the watch face will be brass with engraved decoration in the corners.

Comment

Hi Phil,

As usual, I'm looking forward to following your WIP on this one!

Mark

Comment

Thanks, Mark. This project may take longer than some of my prior ones because it's still evolving. Most of my earlier reliefs have been well-defined designs (often from Escher). This time the design is pretty vague. The pocket watch will be the face of a grandfather clock in a room with undefined objects. A window will open up the possibilities of outdoor scenes. Usually I mull these things over in my head for days and weeks. I find that the solutions often come in the early morning, in that period of half sleep (REM sleep?) before I wake up. The final picture has not yet appeared. . .

Comment

its going to be a great piece when finished great idea

Comment

I am looking forward to this one as well. First thing that popped into my head when i looked at the first picture was it needed a taller window. But you already mentioned that. This is ging to be pretty cool with your grandfather's watch.

Steve

Comment

Phil: the watch idea is wonderful, are any of the depicted items that will be in the room from memories as well - might make the whole even more special - whether or not the carving will look great.

Reed

Comment

Good idea, Reed - I'll keep that in mind as I develop the design. Even the view out the window might be based on a memorable scene.

Comment

Phil,

Awesome idea with the watch! I second what you told Reed about the window
                          scene.

Comment

I am still shaping the grandfather clock on the right side of this piece. The clock is angled about 5 degrees from "straight on," so some of its side will be visible. The window frame will be behind the clock so I'll have to lower it about 3/8" to keep it behind the pendulum case. In the photos below I have placed the watch on top of the clock face. It will actually be in a cavity on the backside and will be removable for winding. (Can you remember when you had to wind your watch?)

Comment

Today I carved the cavity on the back of this relief to fit the watch. The 1st photo shows the empty cavity. The 2nd shows the watch in place (face down). The 3rd shows the watch face from the front side. The grandfather clock will have a square brass plate around the watch face with some engraved filigrees in the corners. This will bring the watch crystal forward so that it is flush with the brass plate.

Basswood - 1-1/4" x 12" x 15"

Comment

Working...
                              X