Good thing I'm painting him!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good thing I'm painting him!

Ever find a nasty surprise like this hidden in your piece of basswood?! Angry I'm sure glad he's not a piece that I varnish the skin tone on and let the wood grain show through!

What would your solution be if it was something you were going to finish natural? I think I'd cut out all of his face, back into the hair line, then insert a piece of good wood, glue it into place and then carve it. Just have to be sure to get it set back in far enough, so you didn't carve into the glue!

I like having a center line down my carvings, to keep things even, but this is ridiculous! Hubby looked at him and said...."Hey, cyclops Santa!"....and he says I'm the smart mouthed one in the family! Ha! Ha! Sarcastic Deborah

Re: Good thing I'm painting him!

The rough out is coming along nicely. I look forward to seeing his progress.
    He kind of looks like he got shot in the head.
    Thor
    Steve

Comment

I am asking for my own knowledge since I don't have experience with a problem like this: would a wood filler or putty work in this case since you are painting him?

Comment

Deborah, take advantage of the wood. Leave the eye and carve a cyclops.

A few years ago, I was in a hunting camp watching a friend (non-carver) whittle out a walking staff he needed. There was a natural flaw in the top of the stick and he was going to simply cut it out of his way. I told him he should take advantage of the wood and leave the flaw there. He handed me the stick and said, "You're the carver, you do it!" Well, it was the simplest and fastest carving I have ever done. He loved it, made himself another staff and this one hangs on his wall at home.

Comment

Deborah,
          How about the third eye Santa? Or maybe a little guy peaking out of a big robe, his fingers not quite reaching the ends of the sleeves, maybe even another little guy peaking out half way up, so that the top little guy is standing on the bottom little guy's shoulders, kinda Little Rascals style.
          If anyone can think their way around or through this, you can! Keep us posted!
          Wade

Comment

Deborah, how about a pigeon on his head, butt forward? Wink Sorry, hehe, I know it has to be frustrating. Seriously, I think you are on the right track by glueing in another piece. Look on the bright side, you hadn't started detailing yet!

Comment

yall make me laugh

I love this placeBouncing S

Comment

"What would your solution be if it was something you were going to finish natural? I think I'd cut out all of his face, back into the hair line, then insert a piece of good wood, glue it into place and then carve it. Just have to be sure to get it set back in far enough, so you didn't carve into the glue!"

Deborah, another option would be to cut his head off and then glue on another piece of wood. The draw back is that this will having the two pieces match (if you want to leave him natural). It would be easier than removing just the face.
                Member of Caricature Carvers of America
                My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

Deborah - I don't have much experience with natural finishing so I can't offer any advice but I have complete faith in whatever you do.

I sure hope you keep going on a "real" Santa.

((((Ben - lol))))

Comment

Looks like you'd got some good suggestions, so I'll just set back and see what ya do with them. I do think you have a good start I like the out stretched arms. I know you'll make it all come together I'll be watching and learning.
                    Kathy

Comment

You guys are too funny, I love it! Since, however, this is a commissioned piece, I don't think the customer would like anything 'growing' out of Santa's head!

Paul, I really like that carving, reminds me of drawings I did in my teens....the dark stage! Lots of hooded 'death' figures with no faces....drove Mr. Brickner, the art teacher, crazy!

I worked on Santa some more this weekend, no more cyclops, as you can see, more the port wine stain birthmark look!

The wood is holding the detail so far, it's not crumbly, so since he's going to be painted (sorry, no natural look planned for his skin tone), what do you think? I can't see removing this area of wood since it's not crumbly or anything. Maybe I should coat it with super glue before painting...would that be a good idea? Of course, since I'm already cutting out of it in places, maybe till the detail carving and sanding is finished, there won't be any problem at all.

Kathy, this is the third Santa of this 'theme' that I've done, he will be holding a banner. When I get requests for 'repeat' carvings, I always change them a bit, so none are exactly alike. I feel everyone deserves an 'original', not an exact copy. Keeps the brain cells active, too, coming up with variations of theme! Deborah

Comment

...Bummer of a birthmark Deb!!!

Bob,
                        I added a filler to a small spot on my carving where it got too thin ('bout the size of a pin head), as I finish in thinned Acrylics not too sure how it would turn out, the paint did not absorb into the patch well...I would not advise using a filler unless painting full strength...
                        When I cut myself, I bleed sawdust!
                        Please view my carving website and blog site: http://3crosseswoodcarving.com
                        My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/3CrossesWoodcarving
                        My Email: [email protected]
                        My Face book Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/3Cros...g/267742984970

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/3CrWoodcarving
                        My Etsy Store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/garymcdaniel

Comment

Now that is a challenge.....how about a normal face and make that into a bullet hole in his forehead? Poise him laid out on the floor in front of a fireplace and the caption underneith....."Santa.....dammit, I told you I wanted a .357, not the .44, it makes too big a hole.... see!"

Sorry, I have a sick sense of humor! Smile

Bob
                          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Hey Deborah! Just wondering if you have had a chance to finish this piece. I'm sure interested to see how he is going to turn out. Your work is great! Thanks for sharing!

Blake

Comment

Working...
                            X