Beginning to look like a ship now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning to look like a ship now.

Before you all go off on your week-end, thought I'd share these few pics with you. She's beginning to look like a ship now. Bowsprite and jib boom carved and installed, and all three lower masts carved and fitted. Enjoy.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Re: Beginning to look like a ship now.

Bob absolutly amazing what a work of art. Whats more amazing is the way you keep your workshop I cant even see across mine one day I will tidy it up and maybe I will find the 20 or so tools I am missing. You sir are one amazing artist. I would like to pay you a visit sometime and watch you at work.
    Colin
    Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
    Jackson, MS

Comment

Those are absolutely beautiful mate!!
      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Bob,
        Beautiful! With that much draft, she must have hauled a lot of freight, hu? Tell us about the ship. Great to see the pictures and progress!
        Wade

Comment

Thank you for the comments folks.

Colin....you are indeed welcome any time my friend. Always have a extra chair handy and something around to wash down the trail dust!

Wade....she indeed did haul a lot. She was 184' long by 36' wide and had a depth in hold of 29', registered in at 1625 tons. Launched in Saint John, NB, in 1851, she went to work for the Blackball Line on the Australia run, and at one point was the fastest ship on the run making a passage in a record 68 days. She carried many immigrants and cargoes for more than 15 years for them and later general cargo for another English company. She was later sold to a Norwegian company for the timber trade and in 1883 was driven ashore on Cape Cavendish, P.E.I. and wrecked. Her bones still lay there in shallow water and can be still seen today.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Fascinating!

Comment

COOL pictures and story. Way COOL artist The way you get in to a project. Of course, we don't get many ships here in SEKansas. Yeah, I know, " Where the heck is that".

Still, You ships are COOL!

Comment

Kenny, Didn't the Prairie Schooners go through there? Don

Comment

Ditto Wade

I can't even comprehend stuff like that.

Comment

Its not hard to understand Nancy......"a boat is a hole in the water, you pour money into!" LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
                      Its not hard to understand Nancy......"a boat is a hole in the water, you pour money into!" LOL
                      DAVE,
                      WHO WERE YOU QUOTING, THE FIRST BOAT OWNER OR THE SECOND...OR THE THIRD OR THE FOURTH... or me, the umpteenbillionth? It's still true!
                      Wade

Comment

Nice work Bob, just curious at the amount of hours a guy can put into something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by wade clark
                          DAVE,
                          WHO WERE YOU QUOTING, THE FIRST BOAT OWNER OR THE SECOND...OR THE THIRD OR THE FOURTH... or me, the umpteenbillionth? It's still true!
                          Wade
                          The quote came from my old uncle that had just sold his boat ha ha!

Comment

Gilly.....I don't count in hours, I count in months. Started this one in July of last year. Of course, I work very slow these days, and not every day. But it is a longer term project.

Bob

Comment

Absolutely wonderful work, and you really brought it to life with the story about it's true history. Thanks for including that.

On another note, I know all about the hole in the water that you throw money into. We used to have a 53 foot houseboat that sunk in 65 feet of water. One day, I hope to have the stupid thing paid for. It's a long, sad, story.....but I got over it a few years back. My husband's love of boats is limited to "things we can afford to lose" now.
                              Thor
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X