X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied
    Re: Cork Decoys

How about cypress or paulownia....? both very light and water shouldn't be a problem, at least with the cypress?

Leave a comment:

• GILLY
    replied

Hey Goody, I have been wanting to make some decoys for use next fall, what is a good cheap alternative to using cork, balsa seems a good option but not so cheap. I've also thought of trying styrofoam, then covering with a paper mache type covering then waterproofing.

Leave a comment:

• Just Carving
    replied

Hi Goody

Great decoys! I have never paid much attention to decoys until now--always lose interest when I see the detail work in the feathers. Yours peaked my interest--neat and simple! What are the head, tail, and bottom made of? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Goody
    replied

Originally posted by Nancy-CA
    Those are so cool I had no idea people carved cork, but then I have no idea about a lot of things. You mentioned "sheets of cork". . . do you laminate the sheets in order to get the thickness to carve?
    I used to be able to buy cork in 4" thick by 4' by 3' sheets for $45. The last I bought bought back in 2001 went up to $90. I finally found some recently at $165 but cant afford to make decoys out of it at that price. Cork decoys orginated back in the depression as the duck hunters would make decoys out of anything they could. Cork from shipwrecks would was up on shore. Cork being boyant and doesnt soak in a lot of water was prime material for making decoys back then. I often have people bring old decoys into my shop and its just neat to sit and study them. I look for shot holes in them and Identifying marks. Sometimes you just want to ask them where have you been and what have you seen. The stories they could probably tell.
    Goody

Leave a comment:

• wade clark
    replied

Goody,
    Very nice! And that's a great idea with the shells! One of these would go through the roof at a Ducks Unlimited Auction! I do 3 DU Auctions a year. Good cause, preserving wetlands for ducks.
    Nice work!
    Wade

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

Those look great Goody!

Leave a comment:

• Nancy-ID
    replied

Those are so cool I had no idea people carved cork, but then I have no idea about a lot of things. You mentioned "sheets of cork". . . do you laminate the sheets in order to get the thickness to carve?

Leave a comment:

• Goody
    started a topic Cork Decoys

Cork Decoys

Still backed up with Santa orders but decided to take a little break and do a few cork decoys. Havent done any of these since 2002. They differ a lot from wooden decoys and most carvers dont like to do them. Cork will dull a knife and a bandsaw blade before you know it. I do a lot of the body with a butcher knife and an old file that I ground in half and welded a handle to. Painting can be a challenge also with all the nooks and crannys, but its the nooks and crannys that make the cork decoys stand out. A lot of friends shoot and bring me the spent shells. I polish the brass then cut the plastic off and knock out the primer. I then drill a 7/8 hole in the keel and glue in the shells on both sides for a nice finish for the anchor line hole. I have a few sheets of cork left and I think I am going to make a few more.
    Goody
Working...
X