• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greybeard
    replied
    Re: Cigar Store Indian Lady

Yea bz, I'll see you there.

Conewago has a table reserved, I'm gonna bring my Pinnochio marionette I did in Floyd Rhadigan's class last month and let it set at the table with other carvings from our members.

I haven't talked to Dennis Thornton in a while and I want to meet the other featured carvers that will be there.

Chris.

Leave a comment:

• bzcarvn
    replied

See you at the show greybeard. You picked a good year to come, lots of tables reserved this year.

Leave a comment:

• greybeard
    replied

Yea, me thinks we do know each other.

I will see you at the show. I am thinking I'll be there on Saturday. I've been wanting to see the Lancaster Woodcarver's show for a while now, and this is the year I'll finally be able to make it.

Chris.

Leave a comment:

• llc1952
    replied

That is one eye-catching and impressive piece of art! I admire your talent AND endurance.

Leave a comment:

• bzcarvn
    replied

Chris, I have lots of pictures, here are a couple. Come to the Lancaster show next weekend at Millersville, I will be there with the Indian. Also, I believe I might know you, I think we have been right across from each other in Vic's class the last two years. And just down the aisle at the Conewago Show.

Leave a comment:

• greybeard
    replied

Nice work.

Do you have any pictures of when it was in the rough glued up stage, before you started carving?

I have some ideas I've been kicking about for some outside gnomes and a wizard. I'm kinda interested to see how you went about your glue up.

Chris.

Leave a comment:

• Carver Eric
    replied

I can only imagine how happy you are with your work, it looks great!

Leave a comment:

• sappy
    replied

Really impressive work! Very clean and well done.

Leave a comment:

• Sharon of the Dell
    replied

Both of you did really neat carvings!

Leave a comment:

• markken5889
    replied

fantastic job! in terms of hours put in, at the carousel carving project's shop I volunteer at, it takes 800-1000 hours to carve a carousel horse. That includes the glue-up's, band sawing, then carving, sanding, priming and finish painting. So in perspective, you've done really well with your cigar indian! Well worth the effort - she looks great!!!

Mark

Leave a comment:

• valk.nl
    replied

very very beautiful you should be very proud of your work

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied

Biz and Mojave, both works are very nice! I've been thinking of doing one of those, and you have inspired me to try one. Thanks!

Arthur

Leave a comment:

• toycarver
    replied

Pretty cool. You did a great job on the entire piece.

Leave a comment:

• Pinokeeo
    replied

I'm impressed. I haven't been carving that long, but I'm no where near being ambitious enough to attempt something like this.

Nice work.

Leave a comment:

• bzcarvn
    replied

Ripstik, the short answer is way too d$%n long. The long answer goes like this. I almost never keep track of hours, but just for the heck of it, I decided to keep a tally on this. When I got to 70 hours and really wasn't even close to getting to the serious carving, I quit keeping account. It just was too counter productive and depressing. I estimate well over 200 hrs.

Mojavezig, I also like cigar store indians and their history. I am amazed how many people have no idea what they were and their purpose. Especially the younger generation. Google it folks, some interesting stuff you will find. I like your Indian and I don't think it is too loud. I might have toned the headdress down a bit, but you can try that on the next one maybe. The original ones often were colorful, to attract attention. I painted mine with oil paints. I use artists oil paints and mix them with Minwax natural stain to create any color stain I want.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X