help me for the base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me for the base

I ran out of idea to make a proper pedestal to this little weasel who stole an egg.
    Would you have any suggestions to help me ?
    note that the tail is lower than the feet. It's made from basswood, bit too spalted in some places. I used gesso again on the egg, had some glue left.

Re: help me for the base

why not carve the base like a rock or branch and that way the tail can hand down, like its lying on the rock if you get my meaning might be smewhat top heavy

Comment

I looks like the weasel is part of the remaining wood underneath him...i.e. all one black we see. I would make a piece of the same or complementary wood just a bit larger than the bottom of the piece we see and put a routed decorative edge on it. I would then attach the new base segment and finish. If the spalted part of the piece you currently have bothers you, I would just cut it off and proceed as I suggested above. Nice smooth carving, you really worked on this one I can tell.

Comment

I think a river rock with a bit of water coming up on the rock.

Comment

Originally posted by dmatias View Post
          I think a river rock with a bit of water coming up on the rock.
          I won't make too much details end grain, and spalted wood is round the heart of the piece. Have to say i won't paint it. I ain't got your talent for that and I like to see the grain show too.
          the thing is I only have about one cm between feet and edge of the base.
          here you can see better.

Comment

Here's a thought...cut the base wood to about 3/16" thick. Carve it as suggested above or trim it a little smaller. Then cut a decorative base for display.

Joggernot

Comment

From the looks of this carving you are very talented and definitely have enough to carve a rock under this guy. The grain of that wood is beautiful and no way you would want to paint it for sure.

Comment

carve it like a treestump and your dun
                I'm also not a fan of painting, the natural wood looks beautiful

Comment

Given the stolen egg, it would be neat to incorporate another medium here. I'm thinking of a bent piece I'd chicken wire. Enough to give the impression of a clean get away. Just food for thought. Awesome carving by the way. I really like him

Comment

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
                    I'm going to take a week or two to think about it and make a choice.
                    I'll probaly go back to the drawings to give me an idea of how I will sort this out.

Comment

Working...
                    X