Wooden cars for grandson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden cars for grandson

Just finished couple of wooden cars for my grandson, he is 2 (today actually)
    Not a whole lot of carving per se, and I don't have a turner , so everything was done by whittling away and then the sander came out.
    The wheels are a bit like a Fred Flintstone car, kinda wobbly but that's okay
    And the little lad may chew on it, I have a Beeswax Salad Bowl finish on it

eLaine

Re: Wooden cars for grandson

cute my grand dau might like those as well. the only question I have with a natural finish and concern would be that the natural finish might attract germs or mold or turn rancid.

Comment

Rick , Oh crap, I hope that doesn't happen, I hadn't thought that way, I was thinking more on when the little play/chomp on it, then the salad bowl finish would be a food/handling safe finish. what would you consider a safe finish

Comment

i made a toy for my grand dau and left it plain wood, my wife said paint is not good, so I dont know to be honest poly dries hard it might be better with a well dried poly but I dont know. Im thinking if kids chew on plastic from china I dont guess there is much thats more dangerous. I suppose you could google around which I havent. If you do and find something satisfactory let me know. I know the fine woodworking website has a lot of tips on finishing so they might have something, but like I said I havent gone further with it. buy the way how did you affix the wheels? I think there is little dowels you can buy but did you make those or another method?????

Comment

A safe finish that will not get rancid would be mineral oil. It is good for internal use.

Arthur
          Arthur

Comment

I think it is a perfect toy for a too year old. It leaves a lot to the imagination, and won't play itself for him. Kids need to exercise their minds and imagination as well as their bodies. A great and classic toy that will mean a lot to him later because it is from you.

Comment

Thank-you for the nice comments and helpful insights,
              Rick I did you dowels I had laying around and for the hub caps I used wooden plugs, and I drilled hole all te way throug the car so the wheels do turn , then used wood glue to to put wheels on axels

I really enjoyed making it, I think I have to do a couple more, I got the image from the Internet so I'll have to go searching for different cars, trucks etc. I think they would make nice christmas gifts.

eLaine

Comment

quite innovative thanks for sharing

Comment

It's amazing what you can create using scrap lumber. When my son and daughter were small I made all sorts of cars, trucks , trains and airplanes and the kids loved them. Now it's nieces and nephews that get them. I leave them unfinished that way the kids can paint them with markers whatever way they like. They might not be pretty to us but they are to the youngsters.
                  If you don\\\\\\\'t know where you\\\\\\\'re going you\\\\\\\'ll end up someplace else.
                  Yogi Berra
                  Dick

Comment

Those two cars are perfect and you did a great job. Ginny

Comment

Working...
                    X