• GinnytooU
    replied
    Re: Wooden cars for grandson

Those two cars are perfect and you did a great job. Ginny

Leave a comment:

• Coker
    replied

It's amazing what you can create using scrap lumber. When my son and daughter were small I made all sorts of cars, trucks , trains and airplanes and the kids loved them. Now it's nieces and nephews that get them. I leave them unfinished that way the kids can paint them with markers whatever way they like. They might not be pretty to us but they are to the youngsters.

Leave a comment:

• rickm
    replied

quite innovative thanks for sharing

Leave a comment:

• laine
    replied

Thank-you for the nice comments and helpful insights,
    Rick I did you dowels I had laying around and for the hub caps I used wooden plugs, and I drilled hole all te way throug the car so the wheels do turn , then used wood glue to to put wheels on axels

I really enjoyed making it, I think I have to do a couple more, I got the image from the Internet so I'll have to go searching for different cars, trucks etc. I think they would make nice christmas gifts.

eLaine

Leave a comment:

• SlowMover
    replied

I think it is a perfect toy for a too year old. It leaves a lot to the imagination, and won't play itself for him. Kids need to exercise their minds and imagination as well as their bodies. A great and classic toy that will mean a lot to him later because it is from you.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied

A safe finish that will not get rancid would be mineral oil. It is good for internal use.

Arthur

Leave a comment:

• rickm
    replied

i made a toy for my grand dau and left it plain wood, my wife said paint is not good, so I dont know to be honest poly dries hard it might be better with a well dried poly but I dont know. Im thinking if kids chew on plastic from china I dont guess there is much thats more dangerous. I suppose you could google around which I havent. If you do and find something satisfactory let me know. I know the fine woodworking website has a lot of tips on finishing so they might have something, but like I said I havent gone further with it. buy the way how did you affix the wheels? I think there is little dowels you can buy but did you make those or another method?????

Leave a comment:

• laine
    replied

Rick , Oh crap, I hope that doesn't happen, I hadn't thought that way, I was thinking more on when the little play/chomp on it, then the salad bowl finish would be a food/handling safe finish. what would you consider a safe finish

Leave a comment:

• rickm
    replied

cute my grand dau might like those as well. the only question I have with a natural finish and concern would be that the natural finish might attract germs or mold or turn rancid.

Leave a comment:

• laine
    started a topic Wooden cars for grandson

Wooden cars for grandson

Just finished couple of wooden cars for my grandson, he is 2 (today actually)
    Not a whole lot of carving per se, and I don't have a turner , so everything was done by whittling away and then the sander came out.
    The wheels are a bit like a Fred Flintstone car, kinda wobbly but that's okay
    And the little lad may chew on it, I have a Beeswax Salad Bowl finish on it

eLaine
Working...
X