• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mik1947
    replied
    Re: Coffee and a toothpick

Mike -
    That's great work! The way you captured the roll of his ankle with his foot on the barrel is a real nice touch! Can't wait to see how you finish him off - LOL - that makes you sound like a hit man instead of a carver!!!

Leave a comment:

• mwilleson
    replied
    Re: Coffee and a toothpick - 95%

Well, I'm close.

About all I've got left is to hollow out the coffee cup and a bit of touch up on the hands around the cup.

Then I need to decide on a finish - acrylic paint or leave the tool finish with sanding sealer and paste wax (that's the way I'm leaning).

I'll post the finals when I'm done.

Leave a comment:

• mwilleson
    replied

Originally posted by GILLY
    He's looking really good so far.....Is that a crack on the barrel or a reference line?
    The line on the barrel is a natural color streak in the wood. I like how color lines appear like that sometimes. Gives the piece a little bit of extra character.

Leave a comment:

• GILLY
    replied

He's looking really good so far.....Is that a crack on the barrel or a reference line?

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

I unnerstand lol, coffee cups iz important!

Leave a comment:

• squbrigg
    replied

He's coming right along Mike, looking real good.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• mwilleson
    replied

Here's a few more shots of the progress.

I can't believe how much time I spent working with 1 inch of the coffee cup. I bet I have as much time in that 1 square inch as I do the rest of the figure.

It's all good fun though!

Leave a comment:

• Anthony Filetti
    replied

Looking good Mike!!! Keep us posted..Cheers

Leave a comment:

• mwilleson
    replied

Originally posted by Coffeeman
    Mike,

Well now, being in the coffee business myself, I just might have to take a good look at this piece when its done, In fact Mike, do you mind if I print our your design and use it as a pattern?

Bill
    Coffeeman, I'm a bit humbled by your request. Feel feel free to print the picture and use it however it helps.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Thor
    replied

The rough out is a work in itself! I really appreciate you showing that stage, and look forward to seeing the progress. I always learn a little bit from seeing progressive photos even though I don't get to touch them. I also, like the toothpick idea, and the clock and business card ideas as well. That might wind up being a challenge to others.
    I'll be checking in to see it change.
    Thor

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

Hey Rob, you can always use the ol' standby, a buddha with a clock in his belly! lol

Leave a comment:

• RobJ
    replied

Neat! I always like the idea of a carving that has a purpose. Good Idea. I have been trying to come up with an idea for something I could carve and insert one of those little 1-1/2" clocks in for my desk.

Leave a comment:

• Coffeeman
    replied

Mike,

Well now, being in the coffee business myself, I just might have to take a good look at this piece when its done, In fact Mike, do you mind if I print our your design and use it as a pattern?

In relating this post back in with your "So many ideas post", my thoughts immediately jump to incorporating your design with a combined desktop toothpick holder and business card holder.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Tom-H
    replied

Is it a new carvers observation that blocking in the blank is just as, or more involved than the actual carving? Of course this may get into the issues of using prepared roughouts. It's just that to me taking a raw block of wood and roughing it out is very difficult. And this coffee & Toothpick piece looks like it is exteremly involved to rought out Great job! TOM H

Leave a comment:

• GILLY
    replied

Looks great so far..........that toothpick holder is a great idea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X