Barn Owl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn Owl

I am working (slowly) on a piece that I was inspired to name "......Current Resident" in the fashion of the U.S. Mail's catalog delivery address. I am hoping to use old barn wood from the ranch to build a window frame for him to stand in as the current resident. This full size piece receives only a few hours work each week as I am still in the house building mode (mentioned in the Black Bear.... thread).

With only two of us working on the house, no blue prints and lot's of "what if we...." that creates extra work, I don't have a lot of carving time. The house must be finished by May 1st when I am hosting a reunion of Peace Corps Volunteers and Missionaries from my time as a PCV in Africa. This will be slowed down as I take off a week to attend the Silver Dollar City/Ozark Mountan Woodcarvers Seminar.

Anyway, here is where Current Resident now stands (or lies).

Re: Barn Owl

That is really nice Paul. You bird carvers do amazing things to get the birds 'right'!

Comment

He's coming along great, Paul!
      Al

Comment

Paul,

That is coming along really well.

Are you using a pattern? If so, where is it from? I've been looking for different owl patterns. My Saw Whet turned so well that I'd like to do some other kinds.

Comment

Paul, excellent! I think bird carvers have a special sensing organ in the brain that connects what they see to their arms, hands, and fingers. This sensing organ is further interconnected to all the muscles that control carving. The result is perfect reproductions of the bird. Be sure to share the finished piece. TOM H
          http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Paul, can't wait to see it finished. Good luck with the house.

Dylan

Comment

ICarve, this is an interesting piece. The body of the owl (what you see) is a roughout from Marlen Downing. However, it is intended to stand fairly upright. I am changing the carving so that the owl will be pitched forward as if gazing at a meal or preparing to take off. This will mean it will have to be displayed fairly high (at least at eye level). It is hard to tell from the photos, but I am raising the secondaries and coverts (feathers above those on the end of the wing) to separate the ends from those below. The legs, feet, and talons will be formed from brass rods, two-part epoxy putty, and modeling paste.

I have been doing birds of prey for quite a while and feel comfortable to work without a pattern. Although, I may make a clay model to use for the feet, if I run into problems.

I am using a lot of pics from the internet, Sholz's book "Owls" and a book "Owls of North America" as guides.

Comment

Really nice work, Paul!! Your mounting idea sounds very interesting - can't cait to see the finished bird!

Comment

Its A Wonderful Carving Paul, It Looks Almost Like The Real Thing..dan....

Comment

My goodness !! That's fine work. I can't wait to see finished but I do hope you'll take lots of photos as you move along.
                    Many Many thanks.

Comment

Thumbs Up Wonderful looking owl Paul and placement will be great. Looking forward to following along as you progress. I hope you'll share images of the house when it's finished.
                      Kathy

Comment

He's looking good Paul, I'm not too sure the mice think the same
                        Mel

Comment

Looking good so far, can't wait to see thr finished owl.

Comment

Great job Paul, can't wait to see the next steps. Sounds like a great plan you have, looking forward to the finished piece in the setting.

Bob
                            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Good carving Paul, looking forward to seeing the completed "Current Resident".

Jax.
                              WOOD IS WONDERFUL!

Comment

Working...
                              X