Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Latest Project

Hi There,
    Just thought I would share my latest piece of work with you. This is only my second attempt at carving since getting some Flexcut tools. I also watched some of Mike Pounders tutorials on carving low relief leafs. Not as good as his but I'm getting there slowly. I think I need a Dremel for Christmas to help with the smoothing and finishing off. He also did some burning but slowly goes. Is there any other way of shading that will take a varnish. I tried to do some shading with crayons on a test piece but that did not work. Cheers.

Re: My Latest Project

I recommend that you use wood stains for shading or highlighting the low relief. The stains should be of the same type as your varnish (solvent or water based). You might also try sealing the wood and using a gel stain, wiping off the excess.

Comment

Please can you tell me what your last statement means regarding sealing and staining.

Comment

Peter, I really love how you did the spiral on your stick. You created a real eye-catching piece. You might try using water color pencils. They aren't real expensive and can do lovely shading. You'd definately want to practice on scrap first in order to see how they perform.

Comment

Peter-J - In the carving illustrated below, the wood was sanded smooth and sealed with Polyacrylic (urethane) finish before applying gel stain. The stain wipes off from all parts except the incised lines. On your carving this might emphasize the leaf shapes and veins. It would not work on raised areas like the spiraling shape on the shaft.

Fish with curvy lines - Woodcarving Illustrated Photo Gallery

Here is another example:

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...e-view/cat/all

Comment

Working...
          X