X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squbrigg
    replied
    Re: Female WS and Male WS

Patrick's coach, Keith, is a great carver and offers lessons from his shop in Nova Scotia. His shop is very unique....combination coffee house and wood carving supplier. Check his site out at www.carvers.ca he does great stuff, including some great nautical carvings on a replica ship built there in Pictou.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Irishman
    replied

Hi Blake,

I'm yet to pick up a carving resource. Much of what I learned since October 05 comes from being coached by a master carver in our area - Keith Matheson. Bob, who just replied in this thread, knows who I'm talking about. I may have been at this a very short time but I produce a lot of woodspirits - basically learning from mistakes. Thanks for your comments.

Patrick

Originally posted by vacaricature carver
    Patrick,

Great details on the faces! If you don't mind, I am going to save those for reference. Do you have any suggestions for a fellow woodspirit carver on where you acquired your skills/techniques. Any teaching tools that you can recommend?? Thanks for sharing! I would love to have one of those in my personal collection!!!!!!!

Blake

Leave a comment:

• squbrigg
    replied

Beautiful work Patrick, I love the way you can capture the expressions, great detail. The deep carved spirit in the second shot is especially fine.

They breed great carvers there in good old Nova Scotia.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Blake Lunsford
    replied

Patrick,

Great details on the faces! If you don't mind, I am going to save those for reference. Do you have any suggestions for a fellow woodspirit carver on where you acquired your skills/techniques. Any teaching tools that you can recommend?? Thanks for sharing! I would love to have one of those in my personal collection!!!!!!!

Blake

Leave a comment:

• Irishman
    replied
    Completed a few experiments

I finished two of my female WS projects and one actually looks female...I think. I got to get out of the basement - anyway, here's a large wood spirit made of popular. I still have techniques to learn doing the mustache and beard.

Patrick

Leave a comment:

• Lightningbolt
    replied

Really great job on the female! Gosh, who'd ever thought about a female woodspirit!

The female would present the same challenge as the Indian's that I carve into my walking sticks. Gosh, there's just no way to hide all the detail of lips and chins with hair so I admire your efforts which look really good!

By the way, I also use quite a bit of white pine and poplar for carving simply because it's so available here in the North Carolina mountain country. Granted, it's not basswood but the price sure is right!!

Leave a comment:

• Irishman
    replied

Thanks for the comments. If my schedule allows, I hope to finish at least one female this weekend and perhaps the accompanying male WS. Already one of the white pine females is starting to crack...the wood that is. I'll post completed pics when I can.

Patrick

Leave a comment:

• Callynne
    replied

Very good work, Patrick! I think you're doing a terrific job on both of them!

I don't find doing a female face any harder than a male, just keep the features 'softer' looking, more rounded, less angular and harsh than a males.

Whitecree, I'm not difficult, just ask my husband....on second thought, maybe you'd better just take my word for it! Deborah

Leave a comment:

• whitecree
    replied

Originally posted by Irishman
    A few weeks back I indicated that I was going to attempt a female wood spirit. ... Females are very difficult.
    Aren't all females?Smile

Looking good!

Leave a comment:

• Mark N. Akers
    replied

Great woodspirit,love the detail in the womens face.

Leave a comment:

• Irishman
    replied

Two of the female WS are white pine and I have another in the works using popular. The male WS is popular.
    I am spoiled using white pine as it is very easy to carve. Sappy when wet but that's the best time as other carvers tell me pine gets brittle when it dries. I had hoped to work on these latest projects on the weekend but had other commitments. From reading the postings, I don't hear of many carving female WS...probably because they are challenging - at least I find they are.

Patrick

Leave a comment:

• Don by the lake
    replied

You are doing very good on the female face spirit. Haven't tried a female spirit yet myself. Guess I just never thought of it. Looks to me like you are using pine. How do you like carving it?
    Don

Leave a comment:

• Carvity_Carve
    replied

Awesome work. Those male woodspirits especially. Keep at it. Lotsa practice and pictures and you'll be well on your way with female faces! Maybe I'll brave it too, sometime. Good job.

Sabrina

Leave a comment:

• squbrigg
    replied

Great work Patrick. They are really looking good. The wood colour running through the male WS adds character. Looks like you are getting in lots of practice.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Irishman
    started a topic Female WS and Male WS

Female WS and Male WS

A few weeks back I indicated that I was going to attempt a female wood spirit. Well this is the stage I'm at now with a couple of them. Females are very difficult. A lot of time spent on the eyes. I took a break and started a male WS. A lot more work to do on the mustache as I just did the outline. Interesting colors going thru the eyes of the male WS.
    Patrick
Working...
X