Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first Oskar finally finished

hi
    in february I started on carving Oskar as seen in the book of H. Refsal (see the thread with the firtst pictures ( http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...g-oskar-52028/). But it was so busy in school and at home that I couldn't carve a lot and had no time to post anything. Since the beginning of the holiday (we have two months here in Belgium) I could finally continue and finish it. Here are some picture of the work in progress. As you can see I have a lot to learn (the shoes and arms were difficult to get good and I cut several times wrong even after looking good at the book and the block of wood). The pictures of the finished Oskar will be in the next post. I also started on Sara so Oskar isn't to long single.
    Jos
    Jos
    Belgium

Re: first Oskar finally finished

hi
    here are pictures of the finished Oskar. I put Oskar in the block of wood from the start. (in one of these two blocks I started roughing out a fish) All comments and help for the next Oskar and Sara are welcome. Thanks for looking
    Jos
    Jos
    Belgium

Comment

First Oskar finally finished

You've done a nice job on Oskar. Nice clean cuts. I hope to see him painted soon. What are the dimensions of the carving?

Here is my attempt at Karl Oskar from last winter: Karl Oskar - Woodcarving Illustrated Photo Gallery

What is the name of the book that you used to carve Oskar? I have Whittling Little Folk and the DVD you mentioned for carving Karl Oskar, but I don't have the book you referenced.
      Rodster

Comment

Nice work on Oskar. Be sure to post a pic when you get it painted.
        Terry

Comment

Oskar looks very handsome I am sure he will be happy to have Sara.
          Herb

Comment

Nice job on Oscar...he came out great! Your cuts are all nice and clean and you seem to have a knack for the flat plane carving style!
            Keep On Carvin'
            Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Re: First Oskar finally finished

Originally posted by Rodster View Post
              You've done a nice job on Oskar. Nice clean cuts. I hope to see him painted soon. What are the dimensions of the carving?

Here is my attempt at Karl Oskar from last winter: Karl Oskar - Woodcarving Illustrated Photo Gallery

What is the name of the book that you used to carve Oskar? I have Whittling Little Folk and the DVD you mentioned for carving Karl Oskar, but I don't have the book you referenced.
              Hi Rodster
              thanks for the comment.
              Oskar is carved out of a block of basswood 3,5''x6"x1,5".
              The book is "Scandinavian Style woodcarving" with a step by step instruction of a Dala horse and Oskar. There are also 40 patterns.

Jos
              Jos
              Belgium

Comment

hi
                thanks for the nice comments. For those who wait to see Oskar in paint: sorry I will not paint this one. From the beginning on I keep the first example off every carving unpainted. I don't really know why but it feels ok this way. So I have a naturally look of every carving.
                Next one will be painted. Could be a nice thread : do you paint your first carving off a figure?

Thanks for watching.
                Jos
                Jos
                Belgium

Comment

Nice job on your Oskar.

Comment

Just stumbled across this, You have done a very good job on your 1st Oskar

Bill
                    free shed plans 10 x 12

Comment

Just a small suggestion for the next time you cut out a figure from a block of basswood. You said the block was 3.5x6x1.5, and you cut your figure from the center of the block. If you had scrunched the pattern over to one side so the elbow touched the edge of the block, I bet the remainder on the other side would have been at least 1.5x1.5x6 or a tad bigger...lots of folks buy wood that size for small figures, add-ons, practice sticks, etc. I can carve two or three little guys out of a stick that size. Just a suggestion, after all, it really pays to be frugal, and not wasting wood is green and good for everyone. Good job on the carving also.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowMover View Post
                        lots of folks buy wood that size for small figures, add-ons, practice sticks, etc. I can carve two or three little guys out of a stick that size. Just a suggestion, after all, it really pays to be frugal, and not wasting wood is green and good for everyone. Good job on the carving also.
                        Hi
                        you are right. I was the first time I cut out a blank. This way I could fix the piece of wood easy and have enough space to use the jigsaw. The wood wasn't wasted of course! I cut out a first fish out of one side (pictures will folow!). The other side will be used also!
                        Jos
                        Jos
                        Belgium

Comment

He looks very handsome. He will like having a girlfriend.

Comment

Working...
                          X